Jersey cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Sherril

Reaction score
Is anyone raising Jersey cattle? I have a baby jersey that is about 2 months old now. He sure isn't much bigger than he was a month and a half ago. I hear they don't really get that big. What good is a bull jersey other than reproducing? He sure is adorable though!

I have 2 Jersey steers that will eventually be in the freezer. My German Shepherd was bigger than my calves when I got them. No, Jersey's don't get overly tall/big. Mine are almost 1 year & they are about 45-46 inches at the hip and I think they are around 575-650#. (One is bigger than the other).
If you are going to keep yours...I've been told that Jersey BULLS are some of the most aggresive (mean) when they get older. Good Luck!

Sherril":19fodjye said:
Is anyone raising Jersey cattle? I have a baby jersey that is about 2 months old now. He sure isn't much bigger than he was a month and a half ago. I hear they don't really get that big. What good is a bull jersey other than reproducing? He sure is adorable though!

They are adorable little calves, but if you intend to keep him, you need to lay down the ground rules and do some training with him. Jersey bulls have the reputation of being the meanest of all bulls. I've never had much problem with them, but then I start them like oxen when they're still quite young so that they learn to respect humans.

Jerseys also make some fine tasting beef. Not nearly as much as the beef breeds, but it's tender and quite tasty.

Ann Bledsoe

Unless you want to keep him to breed to other jerseys then he is not much good to you as a breeding bull. If you have beef cattle then you need a beef bull. If you want to keep him as a pet then I would definatley cut him because Jersey bulls can be VERY mean. If you are going to eat him then I woyuld also cut him because an ole Jersey steer is better eatin' then an ole Jersy bull.

Ann Bledsoe":2ualort8 said:
They are adorable little calves, but if you intend to keep him, you need to lay down the ground rules and do some training with him. Jersey bulls have the reputation of being the meanest of all bulls.
Ann Bledsoe

Local farm just had a Jersey Bull turn extremely UGLY...really tore up
the barn when they got him inside...I understand they tried for a couple
hours to enter the barn area he was in but his aggression was really
bad...finally sent someone to the house for the gun and dropped him
right there before he really hurt someone. On the other hand we have
a Jersey/Hereford Mamma and couldn't ask for a nicer dispostion...she
drops one small calf but within two months that calf looks all Beef and
only gets better. She carries one heck of a bag and will mother anything :D

This is my current Jersey bull
(Registered Miniature Jersey, 38" at the hip, 425 lbs).
He enjoys it as much as the 3 year old riding him does.

PvtPyle6.jpg

Ann B

Ann, I can't speak for the Miniture Jersey bull, but I have seen first hand the wrath of a regular Jersy bull.

txshowmom":138sn3nr said:
Ann, I can't speak for the Miniture Jersey bull, but I have seen first hand the wrath of a regular Jersy bull.

What most people don't realise with Jerseys is that the vast majority of the bulls are raised in solitary confinement from the time they're born. They have virtually no contact with other cattle -- so they never learn how to be a cow first. How to be part of a 'pecking order', how to be part of a herd. Their only contact is with people, so it's only natural that when they get old enough to want to exert dominance that they turn it towards people. Personally, I think the this method of raising the Jersey bulls results in a bunch of bulls that are one step away from being insane.
I have only had 1 Jersey bull turn mean -- he was the first one I raised and I did all the wrong things with him, like follow everyone's suggestions of keeping him in a stall, separated from the rest of the cattle.

My Jersey bulls are now raised in groups as youngsters, and with the cows when they get older. They are trained to voice commands, know their names, and are halterbroke/broke to lead. Each animal gets a training session at least once a week, twice a week when things aren't too hectic. They are sold at 8 months of age.

The oldest bulls that I have raised that I still have contact with are now 4-1/2 year old "Gomers" -- and not a sign of meanness/aggression in any of them. These bulls remember their training well enough that they can be CALLED out of a herd of cows when their "work" is done.

Ann B

I can also attest to the temperment of Jersey bulls. We had one we bought as a calf to use as a gomer bull. He was chosen because he had been halter broken and was gentle. He would also come when called to be fed separately and handled nicely when he stepped on something and poked a hole in the sole of his hoof causing an infection which we had to treat for about two weeks.
He had been raised with our cows and had never been confined except for the hoof treatment.
And then at about 3 1/2 years old the light switch got turned on in his brain. Next thing we knew hubby dearest was going for a ride on the bull's head, alternately being tossed in the air and then scooted along the ground. Needless to say he was hanging on for dear life when the bull pushed his under the electrice fence he suddenly quit his aggression since he had his pasture to himself again. We penned him in the 8ft steel pen and took him to the sale barn for the next sale.

Ruby --- I just can't stand not knowing, and perhaps my eyes are just shot, but what in the world is your avatar a picture of? The only thought that comes to mind is a reddish colored rooster rapidly flapping his wings and with the photo taken at a very slow shutter speed, and I imagine that guess is WAY off!

It is the crab nebula, goes along with my location. One of our newer members thinks it is rude to ask people where they are located.

:nod: :nod:

Arnold Ziffle":1qtp8etc said:
Ruby --- I just can't stand not knowing, and perhaps my eyes are just shot, but what in the world is your avatar a picture of? The only thought that comes to mind is a reddish colored rooster rapidly flapping his wings and with the photo taken at a very slow shutter speed, and I imagine that guess is WAY off!

cherokeeruby":m0uzkh4w said:
It is the crab nebula, goes along with my location. One of our newer members thinks it is rude to ask people where they are located.

:nod: :nod:

Arnold Ziffle":m0uzkh4w said:

Totally agree this is a Cattle Board not a phone book.

I agree...the messageboard is not a phone book.

On other hand,

It would help a lot of people's replies to messages if we knew at least which State or Country (if not USA) people were in! Would save a lot of confusing dialog in responses, etc., if we knew "roughly" who we were responding to.

:roll:

Hey thanks for the replies. I guess I'll have to wait and see how it goes as he grows. I'm just a small farmer starting out. I have the baby jersey and 5 black angus. My husband tells me "you can't have the jersey as a pet, its to eat"...of course he said that with the ducks,geese,chickens, and pheasants for about a year then quit even thinking about it. Hmmm.....I sure do love steak!

Caustic Burno..Totally agree this is a Cattle Board not a phone book.[/quote said:
Totally agree also...next thing you know we'll have some a-hole giving directions to his place in his avatar or something! :lol: 8) :cboy: :idea: ;-) :roll:

eric":29i8g8nj said:
Caustic Burno..Totally agree this is a Cattle Board not a phone book.[/quote:29i8g8nj said:
What direction off of I-35?

dun

Totally agree also...next thing you know we'll have some a-hole giving directions to his place in his avatar or something! :lol: 8) :cboy: :idea: ;-) :roll:

Latest posts