Jersey Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I am thinking about doing a veal calf for 4-H and I want to do a Jersey. Is that a good breed to use as veal(holstein is better, but will a Jersey work)? Are Jerseys docile? Have any of you raised veal? If so what is involved? Any help would be GREAT.

THANKS

[email protected]

I have raised some calves for veal, and the only ones I have raised are Holstiens, I suppose you could do a Jersey but they are smaller and you might have weight problems. What fair are you showing at?

[email protected]

I show and sell at a fair in Michigan. I am getting 2 Holstein calves in the next few days. Did you feed milk replacer? If so, What kind?

Thanks

We used to use Land o Lakes, but there are any number of good milk replacers. Only feed the best you can get. That would be one made from milk or milk by-products, 18-22 percent protein and medicated. Follow the direction on the bag to the letter.

dunmovin farms

> I show and sell at a fair in
> Michigan. I am getting 2 Holstein
> calves in the next few days. Did
> you feed milk replacer? If so,
> What kind?

> Thanks

I just bought a Holstien bull calf that I am going to show veal at my county fair in Cali. I was going to feed Land o Lakes, but I heard that Land o Lakes bought out Purina, and I compared feed tags and they seemed about the same so I am currently feeding Purina.

[email protected]

Latest posts