jersey calf with scours

Help Support CattleToday:

farmchic

Reaction score
the calf is just over a week and a half old, (we took her away from her mother about 3 days after birth). she got scours about 4 days ago and was very lethargic. we gave her probiotics and slippery elm (we are trying very hard to keep her organic) and she perked up. but her manure is still really runny and kind of a greyish color. and today we saw some blood in it. we don't want to give her an anabiotic if we can help it, but we aren't sure if this is bad. can anyone offer some advice?
thanks, we are pretty new at this!!

farmchic":1qj2hkzm said:
the calf is just over a week and a half old, (we took her away from her mother about 3 days after birth). she got scours about 4 days ago and was very lethargic. we gave her probiotics and slippery elm (we are trying very hard to keep her organic) and she perked up. but her manure is still really runny and kind of a greyish color. and today we saw some blood in it. we don't want to give her an anabiotic if we can help it, but we aren't sure if this is bad. can anyone offer some advice?

Probably time to get away from organic and do something with meds.

If you are new then you might consider an antibiotic while you sort out your organics - bloody stool always concerns me.

Even good organic operators will go the route of meds - then pull the animal from the organic crew.

Chatted with your vet yet? They are not against organic operators and often have some very good info available.

Bez>

Welcome to the world of milk cattle breeds...lol.

IMO any calf pulled off of Mama before proper weaning time exposes the calf to any number of of illnesses, conditions. That's what the mama is there for...

Anyhoo...am sure nothing will ever change in the world of "milk cows" and their programs. ;-)

Electrolytes, electrolytes and electrolytes.

Calves don't die from scours...they die from dehydration and electrolyte imbalance.

Don't quite feeding the milk replacer...which by the way may have antibiotic in it...

Call the vet...

Alice

farmchic":1hqu3v2d said:

I'm curious as to what prompted you to pull this calf from his/her mother, especially that young? Blood in the stool would be a major source of concern for me, as well. At this point in time, based on what information you've given - the only advice I can offer is to keep the calf hydrated by using electrolytes, feeding it, and call your vet.

Latest posts