Jersey calf with horns

Help Support CattleToday:

Hunny Do Ranch

Reaction score
We bought a calf to put on our jersey cow a while back and he has the littlest nubs starting. What should we do with them. We don't want horns of any kind. Is it too late for the dehorning paste? We have never had any to deal with.
I will try to get a picture to post. :)

What do you burn with. The little bugger won't let me feel them so I will have to get my hubby to help me in a couple days. He just started a new shift and it sucks. 12:30am to 9:30AM. Messes everything up.

Hunny Do Ranch":3q1p1sn6 said:
What do you burn with. The little bugger won't let me feel them so I will have to get my hubby to help me in a couple days. He just started a new shift and it sucks. 12:30am to 9:30AM. Messes everything up.

An electric disbudding iron

Hunny Do Ranch":173b3ygt said:

Working graveyards - got that T-shirt.

Catch that calf - use a rope of a cane or whatever .......

Grab that calf by the front and back legs and toss him - sit on him and you are good to go.

Even better if you can simply reach under him and grab the opposite legs - front leg alone will do - he'll run and you help him somersault.

He might squawk a bit but he will soon shut up.

If you have no experience with horns you will DEFINITELY not want to do the burning. It is ..... mmm rather smelly and he will likely do a little crying. You might too.

Do it wrong and you can mess up the calf. And if you do it alone the first time I will guarantee you that you will not do it right.

Heck - pin him up against the wall with a gate or a pallet and tie his head off - scrape a little off the end of the horn with a jack knife and dab a little paste on his horns. I am not a real fan of the stuff but it works.

Or have a neighbour come over and cut them off with a gouger - fastest method and although a bit bloody - works like a charm. My suggested preference actually.

I would actually suggest that you do not do them at all if you have never done it before - get it done -done right -and watch and learn.

One thing for sure - you may not like horns - but if you are in the cattle business - even as a hobby - you darned well better learn how to deal with them - because I guarantee you that you are going to run into them - again and again and again.

And learn it right please. If you are truly concerned have a veterinarian do it the first time and then you do it.

We had a local vet come out to our last cattlemen's association meeting. We dehorned and castrated all night.

I learned a whole bunch of new ways to do things -and my friend got his animals all done for free!! :D There were about three hobby types that learned a pile that night as well.

I learned how to pull two nuts at once on the small guys - I used to always do them one at a time - never again. I also use an electric drill - once - to de-nut a calf - did not like it but it was fast.

Everyone has their favourite method of doing things but the veterinarian made us all try a few different techniques - a big learning night.

Even the old hands agreed it was a worthwhile meeting.

Join an association - you will be very happy that you did.

It is easy and you will find it no trouble in the future.

Bez>

Latest posts