Jersey calf, dead...why?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I just recently purchased a Jersey bull calf at a week old. I had it 2 weeks and it was growing and very healthy, I had been giving him and a Holstein bull calf a little water in the afternoon for about 1 week, and one day about 3 hours after I watered them, I found the Jersey dead. Does any one know why? The water that day was colder than usual as my kids were playing with the hose. Both calves were on milk replacer at the time. Any help would be appreciated, I hate to lose even 1 calf again. Could it have been the water (about 1-2 Qts was given) or something else? John <br>
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

<p>: I just recently purchased a Jersey bull calf at a week old. I had it 2 weeks and it was growing and very healthy, I had been giving him and a Holstein bull calf a little water in the afternoon for about 1 week, and one day about 3 hours after I watered them, I found the Jersey dead. Does any one know why? The water that day was colder than usual as my kids were playing with the hose. Both calves were on milk replacer at the time. Any help would be appreciated, I hate to lose even 1 calf again. Could it have been the water (about 1-2 Qts was given) or something else? John [email protected]<p><br>
<br>

[email protected]

I'm sorry you lost your calf, John. It's hard to know why the calf died unless a veterinarian does an exam on the body. I don't believe it was the water, though. <p>All calves should have access to free-choice water, even if they're being bottle-fed. The temperature of the water wouldn't harm the calf. We calve in February, and the stock tanks are pretty cold, often with ice floating in them, but the calves drink the water and do fine.
<br>

Latest posts