Jersey Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
They scare the heck outta me. I know that all bulls are dangerous, but Jersey bulls are the worst by far.

Our renter has a couple bulls in with his heifers to breed them for the summer (I hope it's for that long): a Brown Swiss bull and a Jersey bull. The BS bull is more laid back and doesn't act aggressive (bellowing, pawing the ground, rolling head in the dirt) as the Jersey does. The JB is constantly doing that when one of us is outside, letting the cats out or taking a walk or whatever needs to be done outside. Sometimes I think it's because he likes to show off is macho-ness, but it's also with "protecting" his harem from humans, even if the heifers he's "guarding" are on the other side of the fence.

The evening when we were taking the girls out for a walk in their strollers, I'll be darned if that JB wasn't sitting there eager to get in with the other heifers. Soon as he saw us he got up and started bellering at us (you know, those low, deep growling bellows), and wouldn't stop. The ruddy bugger followed us from the corral out to where we turned around. When we stopped he stopped on the other side of the barbed wire fence, bellowing, pawing the ground and staring at us all the while. I was scared that that maniac might come over the fence at us, because a beast like him wouldn't let a barbed wire fence stop him if he had the mind to go over to the other side. And I had a right to be scared because of the reputation I've heard constantly about with these beasts.

Earlier the day before my brother had met him when he went out to check the fence around the machine shed. That bull threatened him, and my DB had to whack that bull across the snout as hard as he could with a board to get him to back off. 'Course, luckily it worked.

So anyway, here we were, three of us adults with three little toddlers, and this damn bull just across the fence. He didn't do any more following or anything after we turned around and left (and after my DB threw a chunk of dirt at him), but I was still rattled.

I don't like bulls; most times I hate them. But I especially hate Jersey bulls. I mean, if/when I have cows on my place, and a Jersey bull comes to visit them, that'll be the last thing he'll ever do. :mad:

Many years ago Carnation was very active in the development of Polled Herefords. They built a facility at Carnation, WA for the Polled Hereford bulls. They used the same pens for Holstein bulls. They got away from the Polled Hereford bulls and housed a number of Jersey bulls in the same pens. Remember, these are the same pens used for Holsteins. Frequently in the morning they would go out and find most, sometimes all of the Jersey bulls in one pen. They hadn;t had the problem with Holsteins or Polled Herefords. They ended up having to increase the height a good bit to keep the Jerseys where they belonged.

I had 2 Jersey gommer bulls, down to 1 now. The one I got rid of hated my truck but was gentle as a dog otherwise. The one I kept is ok. I don't bother him and he doesn't bother me.

novatech":2nl505at said:
I had 2 Jersey gommer bulls, down to 1 now. The one I got rid of hated my truck but was gentle as a dog otherwise. The one I kept is ok. I don't bother him and he doesn't bother me.

Betchya because you already established who's boss already.

Dairy bulls in general are the most dangerous. They don't have a 1/2 power switch. Lucky your brother didn't get hurt after hitting a dairy bull...that's like pushing the shiny red button. Dairy bulls are always a reason for 'heads up' in the auction mart. Being nightwatchman at the local barns, I had a old Holstein bull in the cull pens that wanted to take a piece out of me so bad. Stand 10 feet back from the gate to the pen and that bull was ready to take the gate out to get to me. :cowboy:

IluvABbeef":1vsu98uy said:
novatech":1vsu98uy said:

Betchya because you already established who's boss already.
Could be. When he was a yearling he tried to butt heads with my truck. He got a fiberglass electric fence rod across his nose.
The nose is the most sensitive spot on cattle. That sting across it is something they do not soon forget. Generally I do not take to beating on the cattle but I also value my life.

I know of two incidences that come to mind immediately involving JS bulls. My dad got pinned down by one and if it was not for a crew member shouting the bulls name(Bully :nod: )the bull would have mauled/killed him. Second instance very similar-friend got away with a broken rib and lots of bruises. I have a dairy farmer(Jersey)down the road from me who keeps his bulls securely enclosed and does not have any problems.That bull you have there spells danger-have him sent away or at least securely enclosed. :arrow:

For sure, I hope that he and that BS bull is gone by fall. I don't want to be chased out of the pen when me or Mom or even my DB has to go into the pen to see what's wrong with the waterer, which always freezes up in the winter. If that's the case then definately we'll have to ask our renter to remove them.

I don't even enjoy going back out behind the cattle sheds anymore because of that fricken bull. I haven't gone back there all summer ever since I found out they put that POS in with the heifers. Ever since we started renting our land out to them dairy folks I dreaded them bringing those JB's out....well looky here now. :roll:

Both me an mom agree that if that bull gets out, there's no way in heII that we're going to help get 'im in. No bloody way.

Latest posts