Jersey Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Was talking with my vet yesterday about the AI schedule I want for my Jersey milk cow.
He asked if I had picked out a bull yet for semen, no.
He told me to see if I could find semen from a bull called Amen.
Does anybody know anything about this bull? Heard of him? Know if there is any semen around of his?
Thanks.

i dont know that bull.but i do know this it sounds like thats a bull from years ago.might be hard to find that bull.

bigbull338":yjtzl4k8 said:
i dont know that bull.but i do know this it sounds like thats a bull from years ago.might be hard to find that bull.

If he's old enough the semen may be put up in "magic wands". We used an old Jersey bull a whiile back that was put up like that. No body knew how to thaw the stuff. Just put the rig togehter and stuck it inside my shirt to thaw. Cow settled so I must have done it right.

Now something else I'm wondering about.
Teat length. Now I hand milk my cow and I was wondering about the numbers next to the teat length data on the web site.
One posted 1.70 and another 1.00, what does this mean?
With my cow when I milk I only use my thumb and three fingers, never my pinkie because of the length of her teats. My pinkie gets in the way of the milk when it squirts out.

I luv herfrds":pbu4j94b said:
Now something else I'm wondering about.
Teat length. Now I hand milk my cow and I was wondering about the numbers next to the teat length data on the web site.
One posted 1.70 and another 1.00, what does this mean?
With my cow when I milk I only use my thumb and three fingers, never my pinkie because of the length of her teats. My pinkie gets in the way of the milk when it squirts out.
Contact the semen reps, they sould get you pointed in the right direction. I've been treatening to get me a dairy cow for a couple of years now. I think I'm going to get one latter this year.

Pretty excited right now. Got my semen ordered. Will take around 2 weeks to come in with another order.
Thanks to the links I was able to find a sire I am pretty happy with. Getting 2 straws from bull called Sunset Canyon Maxium.

dun":11v8lq4k said:
bigbull338":11v8lq4k said:

If he's old enough the semen may be put up in "magic wands". We used an old Jersey bull a whiile back that was put up like that. No body knew how to thaw the stuff. Just put the rig togehter and stuck it inside my shirt to thaw. Cow settled so I must have done it right.

dun, my wife thaws the semen in warm water but once loaded she sticks it inside her bra until she's ready to inseminate. Must work pretty good, cause she's running 100% lst service this year.

TexasBred":f9y0dc7x said:
dun, my wife thaws the semen in warm water but once loaded she sticks it inside her bra until she's ready to inseminate. Must work pretty good, cause she's running 100% lst service this year.

This is with magic wands?

Ordered semen from a bull called Sunset Canyon Maxium.
Can hardly wait til I get the calf out of these two and see what I get.
Has anybody heard of this bull?
I found the Sunset Canyon bulls through a link that was posted. I was impressed with the top Sunset bull featured in the link.

In 2006 he was in the top 10 Bulls.
If you want any info on an of the jersy bulls or cows the best place is
http://www.usjersey.com/
When we AI the magic wand goes in your shirt LOL
Good luck with the calf.

when you say magic wand , do you mean ampule it is abit like a rocket shape if so just thore the same as a straw in water .

brightspark":3uzusjr9 said:
when you say magic wand , do you mean ampule it is abit like a rocket shape if so just thore the same as a straw in water .

A "magic wand" was like half of the length of the pipette that was used for AIing wiht ampules. You joined it to another length of the same stuff with a poly collar (I used surgical tubing) and used either a special poly bulb or a small syringe on the end to inject the semen