Jersey bull on first timers

Help Support CattleToday:

OzssieDave19

Reaction score
So i have a fulltime job and a few acres. But i like to run cows and the best way for me to run cows is join heifers and wait until i have a cow as opposed to buying a 3rd calver who has that first calf out of the way.

Has anyone whacked a jersey bull over angus or hereford cows to get a little calf out and then gone on to the prefered breed after that.

Pictures and thoughts appreciated.

There are better (and safer) alternatives than using a Jersey bull. Black longhorns, black corrientes, dexters, highlands and lowlines are better choices than a Jersey bull.

Yes, many people have put jersey bull on first timers and had success with them.

I, however, am not one of them, therefore I have no pictures.

used to do that all the time with Holstein heifers. some claim there is no better meat than jersey/ angus cross. heifers will also make great cows

I have used a jersey on first time heifers; wasn't planned as he was only supposed to be breeding my jerseys, but oops. The jersey bulls have a reputation for being aggressive and mean. The ones I have been around have all been very easy to work with, no bad attitudes. I have encountered more holsteins with attitudes than the couple of jerseys I have used. ANY BULL can be an a$$ and you never trust them, but I have a couple of beef bulls I would trust before a couple of cows we have....
Presently have 4 jersey/angus cows in the herd, they raise a nice calf bred back angus, milk really well but sometimes will get a bit thin if they are really putting out the milk. The cross calves make very good beef, whether they are 1/2 or 1/4th. I mostly kill a straight jersey for my beef since I have several jersey cows that I use as nurse cows and always wind up with a bull calf or two.
I don't have a digital camera and the flip phone I use is just a phone....so can't send any pictures. The cross cows will be more of a chocolate color, maybe some white underline. They will milk pretty good and I will put a 2nd calf on two of mine if I have them at the barn field and can bring them in for grain. Calves are usually smaller and are longer than wider so easy to just spit out.

Why not just buy a decent angus bull with easy calving #'s and use him for several years then sell him? Or see if you can lease one with easy calving numbers from a breeder for 60 or 90 days then you won't have to worry about it til the next year? Then have more uniform calves to sell...

Lol where am i located Australia, Victoria.
Why dont i get decent angus bull? Little guys hire whats available. I have a charolais stud i can borrow from next door and can hire a jersey for the first timers easily.

Thanks for the replies i hope to see some more pictures. I am convinced the jersey will give me the easiest first calf while i am working hard. In the future i will ai.

Son of Butch":tfbjy54k said:
OzssieDave19":tfbjy54k said:
Has anyone whacked a jersey bull over angus or hereford cows to get a little calf out and then gone on to the prefered breed after that.
Ozssie... Ozssie... Ozssie... Oi.. Oi.. Oi?
Where are you located?

He's a Mexican, two borders south of us. They run Mexican time over summer and talk a bit posh down there so you'll have to excuse him a bit. Not uncouth like we are up here in Queensland.

Ken

There used to be a few big ranches that ran jersey bull with all of their heifers and had good results for years. We usually use either a corriente or a corriente/Angus cross. I don't trust Angus BW EPD's. Have seen some wrecks using an BW EPD wonder. Then we bought one that the breeder stated wasn't a heifer bull and his EPD's indicated he wasn't. He accidently bred 7 heifers we thought were bred and they all calved easy with small calves. His BW was 87# I believe but he hasn't thrown a calf over 80#. Most int he low 70's. But he is crippled now. I broke down and using a low BW grandson of HD. I will hold my breath until I see the first calves. A man had him and had no home for him and we have lots of wheat so going to try him. Again if I wanted to breed to something that I wouldn't likely have to help them calve it would be either a Jersey or a corriente cross.

At least one big Angus ranch out west (Montana, I think) that breeds all their heifers to Longhorn bulls - they have almost nothing invested in those yearling LHs, they get the job done, those heifers calving in range conditions have an easy time calving, the little calves get up fast with lots of vigor and those heifers learn what they need to do to be a good cow. Those LH-cross calves don't top the market, but they look at them as a 'coupon' that that heifer has earned, allowing her to go on to the next level.

They'll use those LH bulls for a few years, then castrate them. The market for LH steers, LH skull/horns is evidently good enough that they more than pay their way. I've seen a number of photos of some of those LH steers that they've broken to saddle and use as 'riding steers'.

Go with Wagyu before a Jersey. At least the calves would be worth something.

Never have understood the throw away calf mentality. There are plenty of sleep all night good bulls out there.

Jake":3e1jfr7n said:
Go with Wagyu before a Jersey. At least the calves would be worth something.

Never have understood the throw away calf mentality. There are plenty of sleep all night good bulls out there.

:clap: :nod:

We've done it here. After the first few hit the ground, we quit checking on them. Zero calving problems. These were jersey bulls on Angus and Hereford heifers. The calves weren't bad at all.

A feeder said he could consistently get 60% choice from angus/jersey calves, and they can qualify for CAB. Jerseys marble well. Not though-away calves at all.

Latest posts