jersey beef

Help Support CattleToday:

trin

Reaction score
i had a man tell me that jersey beef taste great i have never ate it myself. he was saying that he is getting these steers up to 800lbs. and selling them for beef. just intersested to know if there could be a demand for jersey beef and ifso who. how long would it take to get a jersey steer to 800lbs.

trin":32c3t7q7 said:
i had a man tell me that jersey beef taste great i have never ate it myself. he was saying that he is getting these steers up to 800lbs. and selling them for beef. just intersested to know if there could be a demand for jersey beef and ifso who. how long would it take to get a jersey steer to 800lbs.
About ten years & a million dollars worth of groceries

I have read some data that says Jersey meat is more tender than most. I cann't eat one myself because of the big sad (and tender) eyes.

I recently visited a large Jersey based dairy. They had given up on trying to sell their bull calves and are now feeding them out. I looked over a finished pen and they looked good! Most of the Jerseys I see have their ribs sticking out - - these steers were on grain and it showed. As you would expect, they were smaller than a beef steer but the owner said their packer liked the smaller cuts.

I would think that the Jersey feed conversion is not as good as a beef breed but your initial cost is a lot lower since the calves are almost free. Big holstein calves sell for $175 to $210 around here. Jersey bull calves go for $20 to $70.

I just sold a jersey steer this morning for slaughter. They'll be happy with the meat. Lot's of people want them.

I like Jersey for beef, MO is that it is well marbled, and just as tender as any beef I have ever et, But....Alacowman is right...a million dollars worth of groceries it seems to get them looking like anything, trust me on this... you aren't going to make a jersey steer look anywhere near as good as a holstien or a beef breed on grass.

One thing good about them though is this, if and when I lose one I don't cry as hard as I do with my other commercial breeds, you haven't lost a huge investment as you would others, even holstein calves. lost a 11 week old jersey calf just yesterday, and was almost excited about the fact that I simply have more coyote bait. :cboy:

Ate all kinds of farm grown beef and also several young Jersey steers and bulls. (2 yrs and less) I think anyone would be well pleased with the Jersey meat.

For those who have absolutely no idea of what they are talking about, I know they would be surpised at the quantity and quality of Jersey beef. It is absolutely true that a Jersey steer is not going to compete with the commercial beef breeds for carcass sizes. Most of the time they are extra calves on the dairy that we grow out, but I have specifically bought a few for butchering purposes. Try it... you might like it.

riquezada":1qybh8ib said:
For those who have absolutely no idea of what they are talking about, I know they would be surpised at the quantity and quality of Jersey beef. It is absolutely true that a Jersey steer is not going to compete with the commercial beef breeds for carcass sizes. Most of the time they are extra calves on the dairy that we grow out, but I have specifically bought a few for butchering purposes. Try it... you might like it.
Well then what about those people that do know what there talking about? and dont want throw away alot of time & money when you can use a beef breed. jersey may be a good tasting meat once you get it there but i dont want to have to float a loan to find out.

Sounds to me like someone should be crossing them with a beef breed.

What do ya'll think?

Would it be worth it?

What would you cross it with?

If the meat is as good as some claim it to be then maybe using them with another breed is worth a shot?

I'ts been done by leachmans. Then they bred most of it back out

dun

I know this has been discussed on this board before and I put my two cents in then but I'll go again. Jersey beef is excellent, alot of people around here raise Jersey and Jersey cross steers for the home beef market. Anytime someone advertises them around here they don't last long. If you have the grass to put them on and the time to let them grow out they are well worth it. Put them on grain and grass and let em go. The meat is very tender and well flavored. We always butchered Jersey steers when I was growing up. We would buy young Jersey bull calves and steer them. They were almost free anyway. We also had a Jersey milk cow and her bull calves always made it to the freezer, they were always out of whatever breed of beef bull that we were using at the time, sometimes Angus, sometimes Hereford, even Charolais. The heifer calves usually stayed in the herd and made a brood cow that raised a hell of a calf when bred back to the beef bull.

I have a Jersey cow that I had gotten to one day use for milking.At present I am crossing her with my Murray Grey Bull in hopes of getting a bull calf for the freezer...the last two years I have gotten heifers....good looking heifers.....I have had no problem selling them,but will probably retain this years heifer to raise freezer beef.Oh well,.... maybe in the spring. ;-) :cboy:

I have a yearlin hiefer 75% jersey 25% holstien ,as soon as she hits 18 months I'm breedin her to a red angus,beefmaster cross bull

I have a jersey cow due to calve mid November bred to a black angus. I'll eat him if it's a bull calf I guess.

Latest posts