Jersey Beef Taste Test ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Grilled up about 8 pounds of meat for lunch today. No one even touched the white meat so that went into the fridge. I focused on a taste test between a 40 month old simi-angus cow and a 24 month old Jersey steer:
- Jersey steaks looked a little fatty before they went on the grill, but they were outstanding eating! Great flavor and very tender. Simi-angus steaks were not even close.
- Jersey burger was different from what we are used to. Finer texture and more mild. Almost like there was some pork in it... :nod: Simi-angus cow burger is still my favorite.

So we have a tie at this point. Roasts are next. Would you cook or grill Jersey beef differently than a CAB crossbred?

i dont tink so for taste test. you want an apples to apple comparison. i think the cooking methods need to be similar. we eat jersey too.

We've eaten Jersey beef for close to 10 years. Definitely my favorite all the way around. Dad sells 10-12 fed out a year with great reviews.

Stocker Steve":1ehcle2a said:
Grilled up about 8 pounds of meat for lunch today. No one even touched the white meat so that went into the fridge. I focused on a taste test between a 40 month old simi-angus cow and a 24 month old Jersey steer:
- Jersey steaks looked a little fatty before they went on the grill, but they were outstanding eating! Great flavor and very tender. Simi-angus steaks were not even close.
- Jersey burger was different from what we are used to. Finer texture and more mild. Almost like there was some pork in it... :nod: Simi-angus cow burger is still my favorite.

So we have a tie at this point. Roasts are next. Would you cook or grill Jersey beef differently than a CAB crossbred?

Is that a fair comparison? 40 month old vs 24? I've heard Jersey was the best out there but never tried it.

shaz":4fxyxnai said:
Stocker Steve":4fxyxnai said:

Is that a fair comparison? 40 month old vs 24? I've heard Jersey was the best out there but never tried it.
thats what i was thinking :nod:

BrandX":2oo1jzx9 said:
i dont tink so for taste test. you want an apples to apple comparison. i think the cooking methods need to be similar. we eat jersey too.
Wouldn't hurt for the Xbrand to be just a tad younger too.

From surveys of restaurant customers... steak tenderness was more than twice as important than flavor when rating the
overall customer satisfaction of their dining experience.

All beef tastes great or can be flavored to taste great, but a tough steak ruins the entire meal.

Son of Butch":1tkpo9zn said:
From surveys of restaurant customers... steak tenderness was more than twice as important than flavor when rating the

All beef tastes great or can be flavored to taste great, but a tough steak ruins the entire meal.

Just for reference - The last steer I finished was Balancer X Angus and all the meat has been tough so far. Steer was around 21 months old. Never had a toughness issue before.

shaz":14865a5v said:

Life is not fair.
My guess is young animals don't make the best burger.
I suppose for a cow to cow burger battle we could buy some Jersey dairy cow culls and try to get them fat. :idea:
Packers don't like 900# cows so they sell for about $480.

When I was a kid, dad always had a jersey nurse cow ( to graft orphan calves to) and we always butchered her calf. So there was always one of hers in the freezer, one on feed and one nursing her. Mind you the calves weren't straight jersey, they were half jersey, half whatever bull dad had free at the time for her to breed usually angus or Simmental. The beef was always excellent. Jersey beef has a little different kind of fat and is a little sweeter tasting. As stated above we sold what was more valuable and ate what wasn't.

I never had a clue what meat we were eating while growing up. Most was hamburger and I'm sure the other was some sort of roast. Really don't remember having steak.

shaz":54r260rc said:
Son of Butch":54r260rc said:

Just for reference - The last steer I finished was Balancer X Angus and all the meat has been tough so far. Steer was around 21 months old. Never had a toughness issue before.

This is a common problem in the world of straight bred Gelbvieh breeders. And if it's a problem for (some of) them, then it'd become a problem for about half as many of the Balancer breeders.

This is one reason we send DNA to up to three different labs before using any bull (AI or live cover).

Son of Butch":1utdvumq said:

Not all 'naked' (i.e., undoctored) beef tastes good. I can promise you that.

If butchering / aging was done improperly, the beef can have noticeable off flavors.

If the animal was injured at least a few weeks before butchering, the added stress of the injury can affect the flavor.

Etc.

And that makes no mention of poor preparation in the kitchen or on the grill.

Latest posts