Jersey / Balancer weaning weight

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
My Jersey nurse cow beats all I ever saw. She had a calf by by my Balancer bull back in November. It is a heifer and she is already well over half the size of her mother. I guestimate that she weighs about 525 pounds already! She looks like a beef calf in muscle but with a Jersey's dished face. I figured that the Jersey half would bring her size down but evidently those big milk meals have been growing her out well. She might outperform the beef heifer calves in weaning weight :) I am hoping that this new bull will really increase my weaning weights across the board. The new spring calves are really coming on strong.

What was the bulls 205 day weight out of curiosity? If you have the birthweight and weaning weight that would really be nice to.

cowman30":p0fx9z4r said:
What was the bulls 205 day weight out of curiosity? If you have the birthweight and weaning weight that would really be nice to.

Bulls BW was 89 lbs. His weaning weight was about 700 pounds if my memory serves me correctly. Don't know if that was at 205 or if it was longer.

HOSS":3d5x0io8 said:
cowman30":3d5x0io8 said:

Bulls BW was 89 lbs. His weaning weight was about 700 pounds if my memory serves me correctly. Don't know if that was at 205 or if it was longer.

Sounds like he is doing a good job. Sounds like the cow is to.

dun":20lrol4l said:
Heterosis and a lot of milk will do that for you.

....just don't feed the calf out yourself....

I've always said that jerseyXbeef cows are very much underated especially when bred to a heavily muscled bull.

KNERSIE":1vk9ui18 said:
dun":1vk9ui18 said:
Heterosis and a lot of milk will do that for you.

....just don't feed the calf out yourself....

I've always said that jerseyXbeef cows are very much underated especially when bred to a heavily muscled bull.

Amen to that!

Latest posts