Jersey and jersey/angus cross steers for slaughter

Help Support CattleToday:

Etxdairyman

Reaction score
I saw in a post on here a few months back someone talking about Jersey and jersey cross steers being some of the best meat they've ever had, but can't find it now. If there's anyone out there interested in some of these please reach out

I have a few jersey and jer/hol cross cows that I use as nurse cows. I also have eaten jersey beef for so long I don't even know what "beef breed" beef tastes like. The jersey and jer cross beef is a little leaner and a little sweeter than most beef breed. Jersey bull calves are also a dime a dozen; meaning they don't bring anything at the stockyards so are a cheap calf to get and don't eat like a holstein bull calf does. They do take a little longer to get up to weight as do all dairy beef animals do because dairy grows more bone and frame before putting on "weight" as opposed to a beef breed animal that seems to do both bone/frame and meat at the same time.
I am assuming that you have some to sell or are looking at the possibility of raising or finishing some? The best way to market it is to find a natural foods type store or co-op and direct market it either through USDA slaughter plant to sell individual pieces, or by halves or whole animals. Those type of buyers will want them to be as "natural" fed as possible so you might have to look into that. Otherwise, advertise on Craigslist. I sold several that way. I just got tired of dealing with the public and so many that "oh, yes, I want some REAL beef" and then when the time comes they don't have the money or want you to finance it, or I don't have room for it, or some other excuse.

I raise a few now out of my cows when I breed AI and get some bull calves, and I raise a few when they are all I can find when I have a nurse cow come fresh. I sell at the stockyards 99% of the time at a dairy beef sale; and walk out with the check rather than have to deal with the b.s. of getting stuck with a beef or half that someone couldn't take at the last minute. I can still pay for my cows' upkeep and make some if she raises me at least 3 calves per year and I just like my dairy family cows.

Bred black will net the most from the jersey cows when the baby calves are sold here. And breeding jersey cows to a black simmental makes a beefier baby calf.

I have several that I have bred to Aubrac that will be calving in another month or so. Like the body, muscling, but they will be red/brown. I am hoping for mostly heifer calves so they can go back into the beef herd and put more value on the jersey cross calves. I will be feeding out the bull/steer calves for beef but it will be a couple of years before I will have an opinion on the meat.

We used to breed our Jersey and Guernsey cows to our Hereford bull, the meat tasted Amazing. Now we A.I. to Jersey and we've been getting heifers so selling instead of eating them. I have an uncle who only eats Jersey and swears by it. He has a mixed all beef herd but sells them, instead of eating them.

Have only had corn finished straight Jersey beef, and it is not my favorite. Thought about using some mint jelly with it. Lots of back fat and quite bland compared to a 3 year old grass fed.

Tried mixing the Jersey burger with ground venison and I liked that. Guess I am not into sweet meat.

Eating an Aubrac is on my bucket list.

Stocker Steve":3qabebrl said:
Have only had corn finished straight Jersey beef, and it is not my favorite. Thought about using some mint jelly with it. Lots of back fat and quite bland compared to a 3 year old grass fed.

Tried mixing the Jersey burger with ground venison and I liked that. Guess I am not into sweet meat.

Eating an Aubrac is on my bucket list.

There is a way to cross that off your list, you know ... :)

I raised a Jersey Cross steer from two months old to 18 months. He went from less than 200 lbs to 1350 lbs on the hoof. Hanging weight was 800 lbs. He never would take as much corn ration as I thought he should. Maxed out at about 18-20 lb/day. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks whether he tastes good or not.

Latest posts