Jeep Wrangler

Help Support CattleToday:

J. T.

Reaction score
My wife and I are considering purchasing a Jeep Wrangler. Haven't looked at them seriously, yet. Just in the talking stages right now. Pros and cons are welcome.

Are you looking at a 06 or 07. I have a 97 model with a 6 cyl/Automatic. I've always had a jeep, so I'm partial. Its my go almost anywhere machine. If a little pickup truck is needed I hook up the army surplus Jeep trailer. The biggest negative is gas mileage. It'll be the same as a 3/4 ton gas pickup. If you're looking at the 07. First thought is they keep making them bigger. Second thought, I'll buy one when they put a good diesel in them. That may happen around 2010.

I have two Wranglers and love them both. One is the farm Jeep and the other my daily driver. Fuel mileage is not too good maybe around 15-16 HW with a 6 cylinder. They don't ride all that great but who cares. They are still pretty simple to work on and parts are everywhere. My daily driver has the hard top and A/C. Of course it has the big tires and a winch too just in case some damsel in distress needs some help.

I've been driving a 1994 (YJ), 4 cyl. Wrangler for several years now. I average about 20 mpg, have plenty of power for off-roading in low range, and have had very few problems with it. I'm running 235/75/15 Goodyear Wrangler tires and it goes anywhere I need to go, easily. It had 97000 miles on it when I purchased it and now has 130000 miles. It uses about 1/4th of a quart of oil in 3000 miles. Many new cars don't do that well! You won't set any land speed records with a 4 cyl. Jeep, but the vehicle is very balanced (same weight on all 4 tires) and the little 4 banger is nearly bullet proof. When it comes to Jeeps, IMO, bigger is definetly not better! The newer the jeep, the bigger and wider they get. If I could find a 4 cyl. CJ-7 in good condition, I would prefer that to my YJ. By the way, '97 and newer Wranglers are TJ's and have coil springs and are much more car like.

Latest posts