Jeep Wrangler ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Looking at buying a 2 door Jeep Wrangler. It would be used on gravel roads and in the pasture. Decent 90's models cost about $4000 to $5000 here. Any tips or things to watch out for?

Stocker Steve":1brdevub said:
Looking at buying a 2 door Jeep Wrangler. It would be used on gravel roads and in the pasture. Decent 90's models cost about $4000 to $5000 here. Any tips or things to watch out for?

Look out for oil crank seal leaks as on these, it is a complete motor tear down to replace the seals. It is not a matter of if, but when they start leaking. Also oil leaks in general as they seem to have more than their share.

Stocker Steve":2b8ki2f0 said:

The better choice would be a 4wd compact pickup, ranger canyon colorado tacoma or frontier.

hurleyjd":3sz6yxtu said:
Stocker Steve":3sz6yxtu said:

The better choice would be a 4wd compact pickup, ranger canyon colorado tacoma or frontier.

We have creeks running the length of our two biggest pastures. You can not currently cross anywhere with a full size pick up. Could do some dirt work to reduce clearance required. Or, is there a compact truck that has similar clearance to a Wrangler with a 3" lift?

Good luck finding a CJ up north that's not rusted out. Had a wrangler for years. Keep it basic. Only consider 6 cyl, standard trans. Oil leaks are a thing, but I never had any troubles. Happy hunting. Always considered it the perfect pasture ride, if you have to drive any distances at all to check pastures.

bball":2yohsk2q said:
Good luck finding a CJ up north that's not rusted out. Had a wrangler for years. Keep it basic. Only consider 6 cyl, standard trans. Oil leaks are a thing, but I never had any troubles. Happy hunting. Always considered it the perfect pasture ride, if you have to drive any distances at all to check pastures.

4 cyl manual is too ???

Stocker Steve":4eapt65j said:
bball":4eapt65j said:

4 cyl manual is too ???

All the jeep guys I know say to avoid the 4 cyl at all costs, just doesn't hold up. The 6 was virtually indestructible. I have owned both and would never buy a 4 cyl again. Just my :2cents: sold my 6 cyl approaching 300k mi on it...

That money would buy you a decent 4x4 Ranger. One of those in a short wheelbase will be just about as capable, and you can haul stuff.

I don't really care for them. Hard to get in and out of, and they're not that useful on a farm aside from running around.

The Jeep cult really seem to drive up the price on those things for what they are.

Stocker Steve":17em86wx said:
bball":17em86wx said:

4 cyl manual is too ???

Sorry Steve, I didn't address this.
4 cyl is VERY sluggish compared to the 6, especially on the highway or into a good headwind. Gravel roads and pasture might be ok (disregarding the fact that the 4 doesn't hold up mechanically as well as the 6 typically).

bball":3bxcocij said:
All the jeep guys I know say to avoid the 4 cyl at all costs, just doesn't hold up. The 6 was virtually indestructible. I have owned both and would never buy a 4 cyl again. Just my :2cents: sold my 6 cyl approaching 300k mi on it...

What would you guess for the average life of a 4 vs. a 6 cylinder?

I have a 94 2 door Cherokee with 6cyl. Has 305,000 on it and runs perfect with no leaks. 4" lift with 31x10.50x15 Mud Hog Tires. I love it. Use it on the farm and to bear hunt.

My son-in-law bought a new wrangler I do not know which engine 2011 model. We had a tractor they were using that belonged to me that they were using to blade some dirt. The clutch went out totally out no movement at all could not get to front to pull. He was really proud of that jacked up jeep. He hooked on to the tractor which was a small ford of the 1960 era. The jeep just bogged down and could not move the tractor no wheel spending the engine just bogged down. As my Daddy would say it would not pull a sick wh---e out of bed.

Watch the frame rails at the spring shackles especially up where you live. They tend to rust in two. Other than that can't speak on the motors but they are a going beast in the mud a CJ series would be better but hard to find reasonably priced. A Suzuki Samauri jacked up is darn near unstoppable tho. Might check out one of those too. Both cheaper than a utv and just as handy IMO.

Not many Samurai around here. I did find a clean Wrangler that was trailered to MN from California. But, it is a 4 cylinder. Seems to have enough power for running gravel between pastures...

Based on your physical size and having spent time myself in neighbor's wrangler a time or two - I can't understand why you think it is a good thing to invest in. Do you have a lifetime membership with your local chiropractor and feel you're not currently getting enough value out of it?

Wanted a Wrangler all my life. Bought one (manual 4 cyl with both hard and soft top) about 5 yrs ago. It had major problems by the time it was 3yo. Doggiest vehicle I've ever driven in my life. Its get up and go had got up and went. I mean, you couldn't safely accelerate onto the highway. Uncomfortable ride on the highway (very hard shocks but I guess that's part of the appeal to some); hard to get in and out of. So noisy you couldn't drive it without earplugs in. Forget trying to switch out the tops. Numerous mechanical problems. In and out of the shop POS.

The funny thing is that we got a great price on the trade in because so many young folks around us think they're macho and want them.

Go ahead and get one and get it out of your system. Then join the legions of former Wrangler owners. :lol:

Latest posts