Jed's New Pet

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cowman

Reaction score
the Great State of Mental Distress ( Florida)
Jed has decided to quit raisin cows and start raisin these since they are so plentiful in his area
JedsPets.jpg

This one was in the road to my house yesterday. He was in this shape when I found him or I would have gotten a picture of his head, they really look wicked with the shape of it. This is the really bad boy of the ones we have here because they will come after you while the other kinds will try to get away. One this size can put a massive amount of venium into you, I really hate them.

I found out the other day that if you put a couple of wad cutters through the body of a copperhead that they really get fiesty but they can't do much about it

jedstivers":1jc1vrt4 said:
This one was in the road to my house yesterday. He was in this shape when I found him or I would have gotten a picture of his head, they really look wicked with the shape of it. This is the really bad boy of the ones we have here because they will come after you while the other kinds will try to get away. One this size can put a massive amount of venium into you, I really hate them.
you got that right ,,,,been chased to many times... rattlers as mean as they look, are like pups compared to em.. i still get chills watching em sunnin' on the river bank as your floating by... and they ease of in the water as swim toward you
:cowboy:

alacattleman":3r23py4w said:
jedstivers":3r23py4w said:
you got that right ,,,,been chased to many times... rattlers as mean as they look, are like pups compared to em.. i still get chills watching em sunnin' on the river bank as your floating by... and they ease of in the water as swim toward you

Get in the boat at night with a light an they'll be in there with you.

curtis":2s03klw3 said:
alacattleman":2s03klw3 said:
jedstivers":2s03klw3 said:

Get in the boat at night with a light an they'll be in there with you.
Years ago in Dismal Swamp you didn;t need to have a light or wait till night, just be in a boat

always heard they wouldnt bite under water,, my cousin can tell you different.. luckly she was wearing a sweat shirt, and its fangs got hung in it she was jumping up and down under water. and the last time she came up it was swinging from it,, quite traumatizing :cowboy:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":h9z2wp7t said:
You snake experts have me confused. Is the snake in the picture a rattler? or water mochassin (sp?)?

I've also heard it called a "Rattle Mouth Cotton Moccasin" , but that guy was drinking. I've got one pasture up on the ridge, it seems like every time I go there I see or kill one. There is a pretty good size creek that runs down one side and I have yet to figure out why they get out in the middle of that pasture, unless they are chasing the cows.

I drove a tractor through a water hole once and when the rear tire rolled up to the top there was one stuck in the mud on the tire staring me in the face, and neither he nor I were too happy about it.

I was out walking brush and around wheat fields most of yesterday in my job.

The field borders are all brush and weeds and I carry a walking stick and a gun for snakes and critters.
We are allegedly a little north of cotton Mouth country but I have seen a few in my life so i am always wary when walking around swamps and seeps and rough boggy terrain. A good part of my job is checking for buffers around wetlands.

Anyhow no problems yesterday.
Then go home to feed the stock and when the bull walks in the barn a copperhead scurries out from under his path.

I grabbed a bush ax and made a good snake out of him. the local news and guvments just to the north of us have issued alerts about copperheads this spring. they say for some reason the sightings and reports of bites have exceeded anything in history by far this year.

At our place we have always had a lot of copperheads and so I sort of look for them with every step out of habit. We have had so many dogs get bit that I don't let the dogs go to the barn any more.

upfrombottom":2pb6cmww said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2pb6cmww said:
You snake experts have me confused. Is the snake in the picture a rattler? or water mochassin (sp?)?

I've also heard it called a "Rattle Mouth Cotton Moccasin" , but that guy was drinking. I've got one pasture up on the ridge, it seems like every time I go there I see or kill one. There is a pretty good size creek that runs down one side and I have yet to figure out why they get out in the middle of that pasture, unless they are chasing the cows.

I drove a tractor through a water hole once and when the rear tire rolled up to the top there was one stuck in the mud on the tire staring me in the face, and neither he nor I were too happy about it.
yep thats what we call a composite here,,,copper headed rattle moccasins