JD Power Take Off Clutch

Help Support CattleToday:

CattleAnnie

Reaction score
Anyone know how to reset the PTO clutch on a JD 4010 tractor? We've got an old girl that I've been cussing at for the last couple of hay fields - can't hardly keep the haybine reel turning in heavy crop and keeps jammimg the rollers. Getting pretty frustrated. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Will check back later this evening...gotta go lay down the last of the hay (fogs lifting now).

Take care.

Check your hydraulic oil if you have hydraulic pto clutch. MY 3020 clutch quits when the hydraulic oil gets low.

No such luck, Pat. Hydraulic levels are fine (recently topped up due to a hair line fracture on a hydraulic line and a loose fitting that was unrelated to the cracked line...nothing like a shoe full of nice hot hydraulic oil when you're trying to cut hay). Thanks for the suggestion, though.

We are more familiar with resetting the clutch on the old Case tractor, and sure could use some advice when dealing with a Deere. Sure would be nice to get the old girl running up to snuff...Dun had a post about old used up tractors and we sure would love to trade up to something half-arsed reliable, but due to the current ranching fiasco in Canada the newer equipment will have to wait.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Take care.

I am not familar with the 4010 series tractors. Where is the clucth plate locate on the 4010 jd? Follow the lever you activate pto with to see if there is an adjustment you can make. I have a jd 3020 split in half for 8 dollars in oil seals and O rings.

pat

Thanks, Pat. When this rain lets up we'll give your suggestion a try. Sorry to hear about your 3020...that's the joy of mechanical jobs. Can really make mountains out of molehills. Hang in there.

Take care.

3020 is back in service and working great. It took longer than it usually does to replace the Orings. I was in a hurry and kink the pto clutch plate when i put the tractor back together. I ended up splittiing it again to replace the pto clutch. If all goes well it is a takes around 4 hours from start to finish. Good luck on yours

CattleAnnie":11tn0r4k said:
Anyone know how to reset the PTO clutch on a JD 4010 tractor? We've got an old girl that I've been cussing at for the last couple of hay fields - can't hardly keep the haybine reel turning in heavy crop and keeps jammimg the rollers. Getting pretty frustrated. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Will check back later this evening...gotta go lay down the last of the hay (fogs lifting now).

Take care.
Have you tried calling a JD Service rep - usually, they will give you the location and the how to - not sure if its to help or scare - but I've got a lot of help this way.

Latest posts