JD Cab Tractors Again

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
There are many John Deere dealers in my area, and one Case dealer. So, service still being by far the best, I must continue to go with JD.
And I do like John Deere. :D
I guess it was last year when I talked about the 3155 or 3255's they had in Fastline magazine. They were close to me and they were Overseas tractors. But they would have been really nice otherwise.

It is hard to find the right tractor in the older series. So I guess we will have to start looking in the newer (10 to 15 years old instead of 35 years old)
section.
The 6000 and 7000 series they make, such as the 6410, 6420 or the 7200, 7210, 7400, or a 7410.
The 6000 series shows sometimes to have more hp, but it can be up to 2000 less pounds.
We have not driven any of these tractors except to see if a baler was working or to move one. We are still back in the 60's!
I have never ridden on a John Deere that did not sit well or handle well. They are just so comfortable. So, how do you John Deere people compare this series with the ride and handling of the older series of tractors. Is it bulky or does it beat you to death? Do you wish you had your old 4020 back with the new cab attatched to it?

Chuckie

I've got a 5510 with a cab and the dairy has a 74somehitng. His rides better then mine but it's also a couple of feet longer, higher and wider. He has the air ride seat mine has the standard seat. Compared to any of the older tractos, all open calbs, that I've had or used, I;ll take the 5510. Not so big as to not be able to move it in some tight spots nor so small that is doean;t have adequate power or weight.

The size of it does play a big part of it. Having to move hay rings in close quarters and moving around in alley ways.
What ever we get will be used all the time. We will use it for baling hay, moving hay bales, knocking the tops out of the weeds. So, the hsp vs the size vs. the handling and ride all play a part.

Dun, that is a doozie of a walking stick on your arm.

I worked with a man (city) that knew I drove tractors all my life, and he asked me what he should buy to work and cut his yard, since he just purchased ten acres to build a house on. I asked him did he only want to cut grass or do more with it. He said do more with it. I told him to buy the largest utility 4WD tractor he could afford, with a low profile to work in the yard with turf tires, a wide finishing mower, or a mower cutting system, to get the very widest cut he could get, and then purchase other attatchments as he went along, and then he would not be cutting grass from Friday afternoon to Sunday night.

He came back a week later and told me he was going to pick up a new Kubota lawn mower in a week or so because the salesman told him that is what he needed. I thought to my self, "Expensive lesson, $10,000 lawnmower, payments, accessories, Idiot outside all weekend mowing ten acres, can't go anwhere, grass up to his a$$, trade-in on larger tractor, losing about $5,000 or much more, then has to pay $30,000 for bigger tractor and attachments to keep from spending his life outside."
Goes back to the same salesman. IDIOT!!!!
Chuckie

Chuckie":1n00f9re said:
The size of it does play a big part of it. Having to move hay rings in close quarters and moving around in alley ways.
What ever we get will be used all the time. We will use it for baling hay, moving hay bales, knocking the tops out of the weeds. So, the hsp vs the size vs. the handling and ride all play a part.

Moving bales, pulling a Vicon baler, 9 ft disc mower, 8 ft brush hog, moving dirt and rocks, pushing piles of cut trees, grading, moving snow. That's about all I can think of off the top of my head. The 5510 is a 75 pto hp

We have a 6400 with almost 8000 hours & a 6420 with a little over a 1000, both are great tractors. The 7000's drive and handle great but are a little to big and a little to small for this area. We also still have a 4320 through a 8420 with most series in between and some with up to 17000 hours so we have a range to choose from on what we like and dislike.

Chuckie I would stay away from the overseas Deeres, neighbor had one and had a lot of trouble. Harder to track down parts for them. To me Deeres seem to have more hyddraulic problems, leaks, etc.

We have a lot of Deere equipment. Tractor 70 hp 4WD use on cutter and brushog 15 ft.does good.A 670 motor grader operates with ease but a complicated piece of equipment. Deere scrapers a working machine but more complicated than others and hydraulic problem daily. A JD 650 dozer a tough machine and will hold its self anywhere with any dozer of HP. Hard to maintain and unhandy to work on. They all have more hydraulic problems than the other machines we own. They have two or three hydraulic pumps on each machine they all have to be in tolerance to make the machine perform at peak. They all have closed hydraulic system. Do not be fooled by the color of paint, what is under the color may be a different brad of machine and written in a different language.

Tom
The overseas tractors have been laid to rest. But they sure are a nice built size tractor. Such a shame. So that is behind us.
The 6000 series has the hp, and is short wheelbased enough to get in and out of the areas we put hay out in the winter. That is a major factor on the cab. The other major factor on the cab is, baling.
They make several models in that series that will fit the bill.
Chuckie

Chuckie":1wwpfea8 said:
Tom
The overseas tractors have been laid to rest. But they sure are a nice built size tractor. Such a shame. So that is behind us.
The 6000 series has the hp, and is short wheelbased enough to get in and out of the areas we put hay out in the winter. That is a major factor on the cab. The other major factor on the cab is, baling.
They make several models in that series that will fit the bill.
Chuckie
when did JD start making the 6000 series in the US The only ones I new of being made in the US was the 7000 series and up

Chuckie,not all Deere's have a smooth ride :D

IMG_0661.JPG

What year is that jalopy HM?

by dun on Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:00 pm

Chuckie wrote:

Moving bales, pulling a Vicon baler, 9 ft disc mower, 8 ft brush hog, moving dirt and rocks, pushing piles of cut trees, grading, moving snow. That's about all I can think of off the top of my head. The 5510 is a 75 pto hp

I think you will definately want and need more than 75 hp to bale and cut with..

One important consideration is the amount of floorboard space. The 74?? at the dairy has room on the flour for his border collie to lay down out of the way. My 5510 doesn;t have enough room for my weainie dog so he rides on my shoulder.

dun":2osmbxaa said:
One important consideration is the amount of floorboard space. The 74?? at the dairy has room on the flour for his border collie to lay down out of the way. My 5510 doesn;t have enough room for my weainie dog so he rides on my shoulder.

Dun it's a good thing you don't have a dog like a great pyrenees.. :p

hillsdown":2u4vino0 said:
dun":2u4vino0 said:

Dun it's a good thing you don't have a dog like a great pyrenees.. :p
If I did I'ld let him drive the tractor and I'ld ride on his shoulders

HAY MAKER":1k1tpdem said:
hillsdown":1k1tpdem said:
HAY MAKER":1k1tpdem said:
its a 48.
good luck

Very cool. Is it workable or are you restoring it.

I rake hay with it sometimes,mostly it just sits...............good luck
I thought i was the only one, that kept the old iron going... i fly one level above the amish, give me the hat and beard..and im in ;-)

Latest posts