JD 6115 d

Help Support CattleToday:

Basically an E series in a 6**** series frame. Good dependable tractor that is simple but none of the bells and whistles of the other 6 series tractors.

From what I am reading it has open center hydraulics. I was hoping to maybe get a graple or auger off the front. It doesnt sound like that would be a good idea with this type of hydraulics.

I'm a little worried about loader work but it's hard to tell just reading if people are being dramatic or what. We dont have planters or any thing like that.

That's a 5000 series cab on it. My cousin is a mechanic at the local JD dealership, when I was looking for my FIL's tractor last year I had asked him about a 6115D that I found locally. He advised to stay away from them as their dealership had some mechanical issues with them, but didn't say specifically. He steered me towards the 5101E and and 5603 series instead.

I bought a 2013 model in 2016 with 358 hours on it. Never had a problem with it. I've got about 1600 hours on it now. I mainly use it to bale hay and feed with it in the winter. Its a 4 wheel drive with loader and easy on fuel. I bought it for about $25,000 less than the m series john deere. Been well satisfied.

I bought a 2013 model in 2016 with 358 hours on it. Never had a problem with it. I've got about 1600 hours on it now. I mainly use it to bale hay and feed with it in the winter. Its a 4 wheel drive with loader and easy on fuel. I bought it for about $25,000 less than the m series john deere. Been well satisfied.
Are you happy with the loader and being able to move hay, light dirt work, etc?

Open center hydraulics will run a grapple or post auger for most people without issue. The downfall of open center hydraulics is when trying to run multiple hydraulic functions at once or high flow continuous use applications (planter vacuum, orbit motors, etc).

Which transmission do you have and do you think it has adequate gears for baling? Any high/low shift without using the clutch?

Yeah, I could use another gear in between 2nd and 3rd when baling hay, and shifting up or downshifting gears when moving while clutching, no problem. Its a 12sd transmission. All in all, I've been happy with my 6115d. There's good and bad in everything. All I know is, I saved a ton of money buying this tractor

I'm not to much on frills but my new tractor has 12/24 transmission.
I'd hate to do hay work without the push button high/low now.
You and me both, my baling tractor has an 18 speed powershift - that's the ticket! I've only got one tractor that doesn't have at least 1 powershift, and it's pretty inconvenient at times.

Yeah, I could use another gear in between 2nd and 3rd when baling hay, and shifting up or downshifting gears when moving while clutching, no problem. Its a 12sd transmission. All in all, I've been happy with my 6115d. There's good and bad in everything. All I know is, I saved a ton of money buying this tractor
FIL wound up with a 5101E and it's got the 12F/12R transmission, shifts really easy between gears but I miss the High/Low personally. His last tractor was a McCormick with the 24F/24R trans (3 powershifts in each gear) and I can see the dead spots with the JD trans.

Our current tractor has 16 gears with the high low lever. The 6115D I went to look at only had 9. It was synced between gears but not ranges. It did have the power reverse or what ever they call it to toggle between gear F and R as long long as you are in A or B range.

I'm trying to figure out why you need that many reverse gears?

Screenshot_20210708-103354_Chrome.jpg20210708_121206.jpg

For haying work, B range is going to be your most used and those are some pretty big steps between gears.

FIL wound up with a 5101E and it's got the 12F/12R transmission, shifts really easy between gears but I miss the High/Low personally. His last tractor was a McCormick with the 24F/24R trans (3 powershifts in each gear) and I can see the dead spots with the JD trans.
Why did he switch ?

That's the only real complaint with my JD tractors. One is a 12/12 the other 16/16. Both of them 8th gear is 4.8 mph, 9th is 6.5mph at pto speed. In most of my situations 5.5 mph is perfect speed and there is no gear that gets you there. You are always to fast or to slow by just a tick. A 24/24 may correct that and if I buy another I plan to find out.

Why did he switch ?
Local dealer retired and there are no other dealers instate to my knowledge, he was afraid of getting in a bind with parts/service availability as it was his only cab tractor. My wife and I bought the tractor from him for her to use, as we have enough other tractors it's not that big of a deal to us if it sits for awhile waiting on parts. It's a really nice tractor, too bad they never caught on here in the states. Only real complaint is the reverser is jerky, but I haven't took the time to calibrate the transmission yet.

Latest posts