JD 567 Wheel Rake Performance

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
The brother in law asked me to pick up an inexpensive hay rake for him. There is a 5 wheel JD 567 on a local sale bill. Any comments on their performance, vs. a roll a bar rake?

Steve, is that one of those older rakes with the coil spring teeth bolted on to the wheels as oppossed to the newer wheel rakes with the spring finger wheel teeth from the hub? If so you might as well throw that rake out for scrap. I had one and what a piece of junk. Also had one of the New Idea speed rakes and that was a piece of junk also. I have a newer generation Gehl finger wheel rake and that really works good.

hayray":o90ukk8y said:
Steve, is that one of those older rakes with the coil spring teeth bolted on to the wheels as oppossed to the newer wheel rakes with the spring finger wheel teeth from the hub? If so you might as well throw that rake out for scrap. I had one and what a piece of junk.

It is green, made in Canada, and has teeth bolted to a hollow sheet metal wheel.
Did your break down or do a poor job of raking?

The teeth all have to be ordered, most deer dealers don't have them on the shelf anymore. If you angle the pitch open enough to cover the windrow width then it is too weak to grab and the tendency is to increase ground tention and then your teeth break off pretty liberally. So then you can lighten up the ground tension and then it don't rake nothin'. I hauled mine to the yard for scrape. At first I was determined to make it work because I thought how could Deere make this thing, so it must work if you spend enough time and money on it because I sure could use another cheap rake to have around - let me know if you really get it to work. Sure ain't gonna rake that Canary grass.

hayray":1z36mikb said:
At first I was determined to make it work because I thought how could Deere make this thing, so it must work if you spend enough time and money on it because I sure could use another cheap rake to have around - let me know if you really get it to work.

Hard to believe a green machine does not work well :eek:

The teeth are pretty short so I can see why they will not flex a lot. Must for designed for raking thin horse hay on level sandy fields.

It was clean, had all the teeth on it, and went for $300 at the sale.