JD 5085E vs. 5083E

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
Can someone help me understand the big difference between a 5085E and a 5083E?

5085E
85 hp John Deere PowerTech™ Diesel Engine with IT4 emissions compliance
Cab or open operator station available
Standard 12F/12R PowrReverser™ Transmission and
MFWDStandard 540/540E/1000 PTO with economy mode

5083E
83 HP John Deere Engine with MFWD12F/12R PowrReverser™ Transmission
Cab or Open Operator Station available
Engine Aspiration Turbocharged
Transmission; Forward/Reverse 12F/12R PowrReverser
Hydraulics Type Open center

Tractor Data does not have a 5085E listed... The only difference that jumps out to me is the minor HP difference. Looking at Tractor House the 5083E costs a few thousand less.

First post and new here but have enjoyed all the information I have gotten over the last few months so I wanted to join and share the little knowledge I have! :D HD the only difference between the two is the 5085 is the newer model with the IT4 emissions. I just purchased a 5100M last year. No problems yet but if I were doing it over I would buy one without the DPF. I know you have been looking hard at Kubota and you won't be disappointed with either but for me the Deere is a step above. I have run both and the Deere has a little better balance and a smoother power reverser & yes you definately want that! Parts are actually cheaper than Kubota and easy to get. Never had any problems with Kubota but RUN from a Kioti. Great tractor but the dealer/customer service STINKS!
Good luck & continue to enjoy I know how much fun shopping for equipment is.

Thanks for all the info over the last year or so & I look forward to getting to know more!

SmokinM":3el8fz24 said:
First post and new here but have enjoyed all the information I have gotten over the last few months so I wanted to join and share the little knowledge I have! :D HD the only difference between the two is the 5085 is the newer model with the IT4 emissions. I just purchased a 5100M last year. No problems yet but if I were doing it over I would buy one without the DPF. I know you have been looking hard at Kubota and you won't be disappointed with either but for me the Deere is a step above. I have run both and the Deere has a little better balance and a smoother power reverser & yes you definately want that! Parts are actually cheaper than Kubota and easy to get. Never had any problems with Kubota but RUN from a Kioti. Great tractor but the dealer/customer service STINKS!
Good luck & continue to enjoy I know how much fun shopping for equipment is.

Thanks for all the info over the last year or so & I look forward to getting to know more!
Thanks Smoke, and welcome aboard... Great place, and great people...

The 5083E is not a current model. It is out of production although you can still find some on dealer lots. The 5085E is the replacment model with just a bit more HP, but the key difference is the emissions. I'll confess, I'm not clear on the significance of the emmissions issue. But my local dealer said the older E series (5083/5093/5101) are flying off of dealer lots as people scramble to grab whatever are left of that series.

(EDIT: Looks like the other key difference is the new E Series have a 1000RPM option on the PTO. The earlier E series tractors were strictly 540RPM. The 1000 RPM could be useful at times).

I have a 4-year old 5093E that the dealer tells me I can get my original purchase price for right now because it is low hours and has the previous emmissions. I'm a BIG fan of the JD 5E series tractors. I think you would love your 5085E if you go that route. I looked at JD, NH, Case, and Kubota when I made my purchase. I felt like the JD CLEARLY gave you the most for your money. I have never regretted my decision.

It's my opinion only. But if buying a new JD, the M series is a far superior tractor. E series is the econonomy series and are built in India. M series is a top notch tractor built in Georgia. I'm sure it will cost more, but would seem like money well spent to me.
Either way good luck in your search.

blainesdad":1zgtumtt said:
It's my opinion only. But if buying a new JD, the M series is a far superior tractor. E series is the econonomy series and are built in India. M series is a top notch tractor built in Georgia. I'm sure it will cost more, but would seem like money well spent to me.

Actually, that's not right. The small E series tractors are built in India, but the larger E series cab tractors that are being discussed in this thread are built in Augusta Georgia just like the M Series. As an owner of a 5093E, I acknowledge that the M series are a superior tractor. However, for the way I use my tractor (hay field and winter feeding) the E series is all I need. Spending any more money for an M series would have simply been a waste of my money.

The cool thing about John Deere is that they make a tractor line to fit any need and any budget. For alot of us, the E series is the right tractor for the job.

OklaBrangusBreeder":htqeq75s said:
blainesdad":htqeq75s said:

Actually, that's not right. The small E series tractors are built in India, but the larger E series cab tractors that are being discussed in this thread are built in Augusta Georgia just like the M Series. As an owner of a 5093E, I acknowledge that the M series are a superior tractor. However, for the way I use my tractor (hay field and winter feeding) the E series is all I need. Spending any more money for an M series would have simply been a waste of my money.

The cool thing about John Deere is that they make a tractor line to fit any need and any budget. For alot of us, the E series is the right tractor for the job.

My apologies. TractorData showed all of them in India. I didn't realize that. I don't know what the difference in price is, but I know at our local dealer if you look at the E and the M side by side I really like the M. I am selling my old JD 2550 cab tractor and actually bought a New Holland TL90 cab model. Looked at the John Deere's and the cab just wasn't big enough for me unless I went to a 6 series and that was more tractor and more $ than what I had to spend. Still have my JD 2155 and 5310 tractors and love both of them.

Latest posts