JD 5055e (v) 5065e

Help Support CattleToday:

Drzr

Reaction score
I'm looking at new JD 5055e or 5065e for general work as disk, mowing etc. Wondering if there would be "that much" noticeable difference in the 10hp? About 1500 to 2000 price difference. Thanks

BobbyLummus1":217niiyr said:
what quotes are you getting in your area on the 5055e and 5065e ?

$32k to $36k 5065e
$30k to $34k 5055e

I had a 5045e leased last year. Did not seem like much power for real work. Lots of problems with emissions but I was doing a lot idleing work. Could of been root of problems

i haveaa 5065 haven't found anything this tractor can't do. great tractor for hills as well. .i don't think you can flip the thing.

May be wrong, but they are essentially the same tractor. The 10 units of HP comes from a bigger turbo.

In effect, you are buying the same tractor with 10 more HP. If you need more tractor, you need to go up to the next series.

Bright Raven":317xgb9o said:
May be wrong, but they are essentially the same tractor. The 10 units of HP comes from a bigger turbo.

In effect, you are buying the same tractor with 10 more HP. If you need more tractor, you need to go up to the next series.
often it's just a different tune on the injector pump, this was the case with a lot of IH tractors.. the 684 and 784 are the same tractor with a different injector pump, the 884 was still the same tractor but with a turbo.. the 574 was the same engine but with one cylinder less which made for a bit a shorter tractor... in some cases the highest HP model of a given series of tractor would have transmission problems... a good example of this was the Massey 165/178/180 series which all shared the transmission.
disking really takes grunt and traction.. our 684 has it's work cut out pulling our 10 ft disc in softer ground when the disc axle start to hit the dirt

Drzr":c749gd7x said:
I'm looking at new JD 5055e or 5065e for general work as disk, mowing etc.
Wondering if there would be "that much" noticeable difference in the 10hp? About 1500 to 2000 price difference. Thanks
In my opinion the 5065e is worth an additional $2,500 so for 1500 - 2000 you are getting good value and resale value.
10 hp more and 8 hp more in tested pto power everything else is identical and turbo is standard on both.

Son of Butch":3rmm1hhm said:
Drzr":3rmm1hhm said:
I'm looking at new JD 5055e or 5065e for general work as disk, mowing etc.
Wondering if there would be "that much" noticeable difference in the 10hp? About 1500 to 2000 price difference. Thanks
In my opinion the 5065e is worth an additional $2,500 so for 1500 - 2000 you are getting good value and resale value.
10 hp more and 8 hp more in tested pto power everything else is identical and turbo is standard on both.

looks like the rear tires are larger. not sure about anything else.

I'm sure not impressed with the longevity of the 2.9 three cylinder turbo engine. I have a 5400 JD with that exact engine and get about 2500 hours between rebuilds. The main problem with the tractor is 540 pto is achieved at 2400 rpm. So every time you mow or grind feed you have to run it wide open. I have a 1020 with the same engine but no turbo that has 6k hours and still has no real blow by. We work our equipment really hard but service it regularly.

True Grit Farms":3m93veqb said:
I'm sure not impressed with the longevity of the 2.9 three cylinder turbo engine. I have a 5400 JD with that exact engine and get about 2500 hours between rebuilds. The main problem with the tractor is 540 pto is achieved at 2400 rpm. So every time you mow or grind feed you have to run it wide open. I have a 1020 with the same engine but no turbo that has 6k hours and still has no real blow by. We work our equipment really hard but service it regularly.

Agree there is not much low end torque.
Agree it is not a good fit for cutting hay.
What are you using it for that requires rebuilding after 2500 hours?

Stocker Steve":2lq7aj90 said:
True Grit Farms":2lq7aj90 said:

Agree there is not much low end torque.
Agree it is not a good fit for cutting hay.
What are you using it for that requires rebuilding after 2500 hours?

At one time I used it for doing almost everything, it was my only tractor with a cab and loader. Like I said I use it to mow, grind feed, and pull a 12' disc. Our main problem is we put 12 - 1500 hours on the tractors per year.

Stocker Steve":17b21vtr said:
True Grit Farms":17b21vtr said:
I'm sure not impressed with the longevity of the 2.9 three cylinder turbo engine. I have a 5400 JD with that exact engine and get about 2500 hours between rebuilds. The main problem with the tractor is 540 pto is achieved at 2400 rpm.

Mine has 2400 hours on it, :cry:

and the tranny groans in second gear...

I have the 5055E and not that impressed. It is a fuel hog for sure. Wish I had looked at others before this purchase.

Latest posts