JD 467 problem

Help Support CattleToday:

eberlej

Reaction score
I was running my neighbors JD 467 baler and all went well until we put in a new roll of wrap. After wrapping, it failed to cut the wrap. My neighbor said that the same thing happened the last time he replaced a roll and after cutting a few of the wraps with a pocket knife, it would start working again. We hand cut around 3 bales and called it a day due to darkness. The next morning he had his mechanic out and they rolled up one bale and according to the mechanic, it all looked like everything was doing what it was supposed to, except it didn't cut the wrap. So, they cut it by hand and rolled another one and from that point it worked flawlessly.

The mechanic said that the brake was set right and shouldn't be the problem. He suspects it has something to do with the new "supersized" rolls of wrap as he ran into the same problem with a JD466 baler with a different customer.

I'd like to help my neighbor get this worked out because it sounds like he's going to want me to run this machine quite a bit if it ever rains around here and I don't relish the thought of crawling under the baler after the first 5 rolls after a net change.

Would love to here some input from some JD experts.

Thanks.

eberlej":2khyaclp said:
I was running my neighbors JD 467 baler and all went well until we put in a new roll of wrap. After wrapping, it failed to cut the wrap. My neighbor said that the same thing happened the last time he replaced a roll and after cutting a few of the wraps with a pocket knife, it would start working again. We hand cut around 3 bales and called it a day due to darkness. The next morning he had his mechanic out and they rolled up one bale and according to the mechanic, it all looked like everything was doing what it was supposed to, except it didn't cut the wrap. So, they cut it by hand and rolled another one and from that point it worked flawlessly.

The mechanic said that the brake was set right and shouldn't be the problem. He suspects it has something to do with the new "supersized" rolls of wrap as he ran into the same problem with a JD466 baler with a different customer.

I'd like to help my neighbor get this worked out because it sounds like he's going to want me to run this machine quite a bit if it ever rains around here and I don't relish the thought of crawling under the baler after the first 5 rolls after a net change.

Would love to here some input from some JD experts.

Thanks.

I'm not a JD expert by any means, but this advice is worth as much as you're paying for it.....

1. Supersize net wrap does not matter. Size has nothing to do with cutting.
2. Check the actuator to see if it is opening and closing. (This is under a small cover on the right hand side of the baler when looking at it from the rear. Small, electronically controlled hydraulic type cylinder)
3. Actuator is probably in extended position, so even if netwrap is cut, netwrap is still rolling, therefore you have to manually cut it again.
4. Check plug in connectors going to actuator. They are notorious for getting moisture/rust in them and not making a good connection.

Are you getting E2-01 or E4-01 error codes? If not, what error message are you getting? There are a few other tricks that are not in the book, but need to know about your error codes.

Thanks for the info. As far as error codes go, I never noted what code it was throwing. I just appeared to look like a stop sign flashing. Is the error number within this icon? If so, I was too worried over what was going on behind me.

I agree in that it shouldn't matter what size the roll is. I also noticed that the low voltage indicator would flash occasionally as I was baling and as it got darker, I could see that the back-light on the monitor would flicker.

What befuddles me is why would it only do it for the first few bales on a new roll of wrap? At any rate, it sounds like it would behoove me to check the electrical connections and make sure that they are clean. Unfortunately, the way weather has been in central Tx, it may be next year before we bale again.

Low voltage will create alot of gremlins. Make sure you are connected straight to the battery. If you could find a code it is throwing it would be easier to diagnose.

Low voltage is a monster that will defeat you. You probably are going to have to upgrade your alternator. Look on ebay and you can find one there a lot cheaper than from JD.

Error codes are a must. Without them, you don't know what's happening. We'll be glad to try and help, but need more info.

options":wisxmkpy said:
Do you talc the rollers, when replacing the new roll?

Actually, you don't have to talc the rollers provided you haven't cleaned the machine. If you do wash off the dirt/dust, then you've got to go back on with the talc or baby powder. My 467 (when new), came with a bottle of J&J baby powder.

Dust does the same job as the powder.

grannysoo":rvclv7hr said:
options":rvclv7hr said:

Actually, you don't have to talc the rollers provided you haven't cleaned the machine. If you do wash off the dirt/dust, then you've got to go back on with the talc or baby powder. My 467 (when new), came with a bottle of J&J baby powder.

:p Awful sweet of John Deere to be so concerned about your bottom after writting a check that they give you something to powder your hiney. :lol:

Here alfalfa requires use of talc on humid days. I guess there might be different conditions throughout the country.

Has anyone had a problem ith E2-15 actuator shorted to ground. It comes and goes.I may bale 10-15 and it will work fine and then it will start acting up and I will have to power off the monitor possibly several times to get it to go again. I'm sitting here with the manual trying to figure it out.

1982vett":o734ctko said:
grannysoo":o734ctko said:
options":o734ctko said:

:p Awful sweet of John Deere to be so concerned about your bottom after writting a check that they give you something to powder your hiney. :lol:

Should have included some vasoline too.........

LaneFarms":2bj94tvw said:
Has anyone had a problem ith E2-15 actuator shorted to ground. It comes and goes.I may bale 10-15 and it will work fine and then it will start acting up and I will have to power off the monitor possibly several times to get it to go again. I'm sitting here with the manual trying to figure it out.

Haven't had that problem, but have you checked the wiring harness connectors? There can be lots of little gremlins there in the "waterproof" connectors. What a joke....

grannysoo":3sh85r8x said:
LaneFarms":3sh85r8x said:

Haven't had that problem, but have you checked the wiring harness connectors? There can be lots of little gremlins there in the "waterproof" connectors. What a joke....
Not a bad place to start for a lot of problems, we had an issue with the autotie on our vermeer 605L that turned out to be a loose pin in the connector.

1982vett":1r2cxgkb said:
Not a bad place to start for a lot of problems, we had an issue with the autotie on our vermeer 605L that turned out to be a loose pin in the connector.

When mine was under warranty, I had a problem with the actuator and JD sent out the service truck. Before he tested anything or started looking the machine over, the service guy got a little kit out from one of his tool boxes, along with his electrical meter. The little kit was everything to rebuild the "waterproof" connectors, both male and female. Wonder if he had done that before? :mrgreen:

Ours is a JD 466 We get that daggum, stupid, mamma hating, kick my dog, and shoot the neighbor low voltage. Not all the time though. About 50/50 Seems to be wrappping ok except sometimes the wrap gets caught up in the belts and starts making its way through out the baler. Nothing pisses me off more than having a good field of hay to put up and the baler won't work. Last time I called the dealer, told em I was gonna set fire to it in their driveway. They did find a short in the wiring harness, that fixed it for about 40 rolls. Seems like its taking longer to wrap now, any ideas? I got one, trade her in.

Latest posts