JD 4640 and 4630 tractors

Help Support CattleToday:

whitewing

Reaction score
Interested in taking a look at these two. Will be used mainly for plowing.

Told by the owner that both are 4 x 2.

I have no idea of the overall quality of the individual tractors, though the owner, of course, says they're in great shape. :cboy:

Any of you guys own one of these beasts? What can you tell me about them?

4640 has 8 speed powershift. I always liked that powershift .to me they would be the best tractors of their age. I still have a 4630 in the barn from my row cropping years.

herefordlover":n2ohmde4 said:
if all are power shift I would stay away from the 4630 as the gears are to far apart in y book being an 8 speed where the 4640 on up will have 17

17 speed powershift :?: :?: :?: I'm no JD guy but I thought 30 and 40 series both had 8 speed powershift. Neighbor has a 4240 with 8 speed powershift. Afterward, the 50 series came out with the 15 speed.

I assume both series have the 466 engine? IMO, a 404 would have its tail twisted to the limit at that HP level.

The 4630 is an awkward sized tractor. It does have a 404 motor same as a 4430 but with an intercooler. Would be a decent haying tractor except it is 1000 rpm only. Around here the 8 speed powershift is known as a jerkomatic. They are durable transmissions that are good for chore tractors but not so good for working ground.

ohiosteve":21ut9sff said:
The 4630 is an awkward sized tractor. It does have a 404 motor same as a 4430 but with an intercooler. Would be a decent haying tractor except it is 1000 rpm only. Around here the 8 speed powershift is known as a jerkomatic. They are durable transmissions that are good for chore tractors but not so good for working ground.

The 4630 would work for me. I do some haying but rarely work ground. All of my hay equipment is already set up as 1000 PTO. Most balers are easily changed by switching the gearbox around and putting the appropriate coupler on the end of the existing PTO shaft.

I admit I hate switching back and forth from 540 to 1000 PTO. The swather, baler, and stackmover are 1000. "Bush Hog" rotary mower, post hole digger, and snowblower are 540. So if I had my way, all driven implements would be 1000 PTO :idea:

John SD":30y68ael said:
ohiosteve":30y68ael said:

The 4630 would work for me. I do some haying but rarely work ground. All of my hay equipment is already set up as 1000 PTO. Most balers are easily changed by switching the gearbox around and putting the appropriate coupler on the end of the existing PTO shaft.

I admit I hate switching back and forth from 540 to 1000 PTO. The swather, baler, and stackmover are 1000. "Bush Hog" rotary mower, post hole digger, and snowblower are 540. So if I had my way, all driven implements would be 1000 PTO :idea:
Neighbor of mine has a 4630 he put a 466 in (slight frame notching) he ordered a new woods batwing mower with 1000 rpm gearbox but there was a mix up and it came with 540 gearbox but he didn't know. It lasted a year before it grenaded. He said that thing mowed like a dream but sounded like a helicopter!

ohiosteve":2r1bfvax said:
John SD":2r1bfvax said:
ohiosteve":2r1bfvax said:

Neighbor of mine has a 4630 he put a 466 in (slight frame notching) he ordered a new woods batwing mower with 1000 rpm gearbox but there was a mix up and it came with 540 gearbox but he didn't know. It lasted a year before it grenaded. He said that thing mowed like a dream but sounded like a helicopter!

I put my 3pt quick hitch on before the snowblower this year. Bought a 1000 to 540 adapter for the PTO Haven't actually hooked up the PTO shaft and tried it. Quick hitch adds some length to the 3 point linkage while the PTO adapter adds about the same to the PTO shaft.

Wanted to see if I can run the Kubota about half throttle and still run the 8' snowblower which is 540. Kubota should have plenty of slow reverse gears to experiment with. I would think it should work OK in all but the heaviest snow. Once I get through a snowbank, then I can just shave off whatever it can handle in each pass. :idea:

http://reddevilsnowblowers.com/tractor- ... 0-rpm.aspx

Thanks guys. Anyone have any experience with the JD 4560 or the JD 4455? Again, I'm looking for a plow tractor.

for a plow tractor , I would not get a 4455. the 4630/40 /50/55 will be cheaper than a similar 44. I would hunt for a later 4630 or 4640.you could buy 2 or 3 of them for what a 4560 cost.

for a plow tractor , I would not get a 4455. the 4630/40 /50/55 will be cheaper than a similar 44. I would hunt for a later 4630 or 4640.you could buy 2 or 3 of them for what a 4560 cost.

On relative costs, keep in mind that I'm in Venezuela so the value of one series versus the other may not mirror the market in the States.

As plow tractors, how would the 4450, 4455, and 4560 stack up? I'll be looking at all 3 this weekend.