Jd 459ss or Vermeer 504

Help Support CattleToday:

Cress27

Reaction score
Looking at buying a New baler and I'm look for opinions on a 459ss net wrap it's used for 20k or a new Vermeer 504 classic string tie only for 22k anybody got any light to shine on this.

I like the looks of the 504 if it was me I would get the net wrap on it. It is now as cheap to wrap net as it is twine and makes a better bale.

We just went with Vermeer 504 R Signature with twine and net wrap.
Have know idea how we like it yet.

Mat Man said:
We just went with Vermeer 504 R Signature with twine and net wrap.
Have know idea how we like it yet.

I've always been around a John Deere baler. My dad has had great luck with them. 535 for about 20 years put up close to 1500 bales a year and now has a 568 for the past 4 years and it's been great so far. I'm buying a a farm and I'm looking for my own baler and I've got a friend that loves his 504r classic. Just so many decisions.

Whatever you do I think it's a good idea to get the netwrap option. Even if you don't use it. You'll thank yourself at trade in time.

Silver said:
Whatever you do I think it's a good idea to get the netwrap option. Even if you don't use it. You'll thank yourself at trade in time.

That's what I'm hearing I'm buying a farm and I'm on a budget but I don't want to buy someone else's junk and I don't have 30k to put into a brand new baler. I'm buying the farm with intentions of selling hay. And I think the net wrap will bring a better price as well. I'm leaning more towards the John Deere 459 and with it being a silage special it should have heavier bearings and just a more heavier built baler right

Here is the link to the baler

https://www.fastline.com/farm-equipment/listing-detail/john-deere-459ss-larry-brown-equipment-stanford-kentucky/c176eb82-da4c-4a45-8e7a-5ff696e50b6b

I don't know about the Vermeer Signature balers, but the N's are a far heavier built machine than John Deere. But I think they both make good balers so it might be a good idea to make your decision based on which dealers are closest, better to deal with, stock parts better etc.
That looks like a good straight baler that has lots of life in it.

Silver said:
I don't know about the Vermeer Signature balers, but the N's are a far heavier built machine than John Deere. But I think they both make good balers so it might be a good idea to make your decision based on which dealers are closest, better to deal with, stock parts better etc.
That looks like a good straight baler that has lots of life in it.
Im not sure on the year or the bale count on it. But the price don't seam bad.

Cress27 said:
Here is the link to the baler

https://www.fastline.com/farm-equipment/listing-detail/john-deere-459ss-larry-brown-equipment-stanford-kentucky/c176eb82-da4c-4a45-8e7a-5ff696e50b6b

I think I have seen this baler on sites like equipment sites for some time. What have you been told what the bale count is?
I have had very good results with two Vermeers (a 504SI and a SM). If you can go new for about the same and keep net wrap I think it is a no brainer.
You dealer network is more important than color.

Cress27 said:
Silver said:

That's what I'm hearing I'm buying a farm and I'm on a budget but I don't want to buy someone else's junk and I don't have 30k to put into a brand new baler. I'm buying the farm with intentions of selling hay. And I think the net wrap will bring a better price as well. I'm leaning more towards the John Deere 459 and with it being a silage special it should have heavier bearings and just a more heavier built baler right

I looked at JD balers a few years back when I was in the market for a newer baler. My cousin is a mechanic for JD, and I wanted to buy one last time for the ease of parts availability and knowledge base that he has. I didn't pick them apart and compare part numbers, but he told me the only upgrades on the 459SS were the hay guard on the front along with a set of scrapers on the rollers. Bearings, rollers, etc. were all the same as the standard model. To get any increase in durability, one has to go to the 469 series which is built significantly heavier than the 459 series.

When I compared the 469SS and the Vermeer 604M/SM, there was over a 2000 lb difference between two equally optioned balers - with the yellow paint being heavier. I could also buy a Vermeer of the same year range and bale count for a considerable amount cheaper than the JD. Care to guess which one I bought?

Latest posts