jd 4430

Help Support CattleToday:

MAGONZ1969

Reaction score
Got a JD 4430 that starts but as soon as I put it in gear it wants to shut off or it loses power. Anyone had problems like this before.
I changed air filters last summer as well as fuel filters. Don't know what else to do. Really hate to take it to dealer to have them fix it when maybe is something simple; plus,65-85 dollars an hour for their service is something I really can't afford.

Will it move at all? What trans? Differential locked? trying to shift into two gears at once?

A couple of questions to add to what EAT BEEF has asked? Once you put it in gear and it starts lugging down will it keep running if you push the clutch back in? Have you let the tractor run out of diesel and experienced these problems after running out? When you say you changed the fuel filters last summer was this regular maintenance or was it done to try and resolve the issue your currently experiencing? It sounds like it could be a fuel issue but we need a little more information first. If you let one run out you end up sucking all the junk that is in the tank through your fuel system which could clog your fuel filters or get trash in the lines and impede fuel flow. This may sound silly but do you know that you have plenty of fuel in the tank? The sending unit on our 4430 is off, it will read a little less than 1/4 but it is actually out. I'm hard headed so it took this happening 2 times before I went to checking. Checking to make sure it is getting plenty of fuel is pretty simple, start at the fuel tank and work your way to the injector pump cracking the line at each location and checking for flow. You can use the hand primer pump to check for flow past the fuel filters. If it has been a year since new fuel filters it sounds like it is time for new ones anyways so I would pick up a couple.

OldCrow

Using Bio?
Sound somewhat like she's either not getting air, or sucking air through the fuel when your putting her under a load.

Thank you all for your input and help. Here's an update. I disconnected the fuel line before it gets to the sediment bowl, connected a hose and blew air into the fuel tank. After having done that a steady stream of fuel began to flow a lot better than before. I reconnected the fuel lines together and started the tractor and it ran like a charm. I determined that the fuel tank has dirt in it and eventually I'm gonna have to remove it and flush it so that all dirt can be drained. I really need to use it now to get some work done and hopefully nothing else goes wrong.