JD 4430

Help Support CattleToday:

ksl1

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a tractor to cut/bale hay. We currently pay someone else to cut, rake, and bale around 15acres. This year we have done it on shares. We bought a NH 273 square bailer a couple years ago but have yet to use it. We have an old Ford 600 that we use to bush hog/haul in wood. We don't have a mower or rake. I have an opportunity to buy a 1973 JD 4430 that my cousin farmed with for years. My question is: Is this too much tractor for someone who is just going to bale hay? Eventually, I want to get a round bailer. There is also hay available to cut locally if I have equipment to do it with. Thanks for any info.

Probably don't need that much tractor for a small square baler so it depends on your cutter size and the size of the future round baler. 4430 is going to drink a lot of diesel.

1982vett":l8jvn8sy said:
Probably don't need that much tractor for a small square baler so it depends on your cutter size and the size of the future round baler. 4430 is going to drink a lot of diesel.
exactly and you probably don't need that much tractor on a round baler
as for the square baler you could shred that baler without even knowing it with that tractor

You need to know what trans. is in the tractor and to know that they use a lot of fuel for no reason. If I were going to get one it would need to be on 38in. rear rubber. Money talks if it is cheap and a good tractor then great, if not then keep walking untill you find you a red one...

I'm going against what the others are saying. The 4430 is a pretty good tractor for a reasonable amount of money. It may be a little bit much for square baling but if you get a round it will be none to big. At 125 HP it will come in handy for all sorts of jobs. As far as fuel consumption it will be more than the smaller tractors with 4 cylinders but the one we had wasn't all that bad IMO. Most 4430's I've seen are quad ranges. They did come with a PS as an option. Personally I would take a PS over a quad any day but that's just preference.

I agree with novaman, personally I don't think you could ever have to much horsepower. Gives a person room to grow. You never buy children shoes that fit perfectly you always buy them bigger so they have room to grow. So principal is used with tractors for me.

The quad trans can get $ if something happens.I like operating a Quad trans,but would rather have a syncro in a 30 series.73 was the first year they made the 4430.I have spent alot of hours in a 4430 and I like them,but it might be more than you need if it's not priced right or something you really want because it's a family tractor.

Latest posts