JD 435 WRAPPING EARLY...

Help Support CattleToday:

whitebc

Reaction score
On the last field of the season last year my baler started wrapping the bales at around 3' or so... I checked the screw that moves the bale hight and it was tight on a 5.5' bale same as it was before. I figured maybe the sensor was out so I bout a new one and put it on but have not had any grass to try it out on. Has anyone had this problem before? If the sensor was out is it possible that the bale would wrap at the same spot every time? I would like to fix it before I get the first field cut down and ready to bale.

Thanks in advance,
Ben

Are you talking about the bale size sensors in the back of the baler.
FYI: I have a 435 too and have had the same problem but not consistently like your having. Mine was usually just an errant twine cycle

I have a 535 and the first couple bales out of it every season start wrapping at 3'. After a few bales something frees up and it's just fine the rest of the season. It almost sounds like somehow your tying is tripped and when it gets to 3' the belt on the pump tightens enough to run the arms. Anything under 3' and the belt running the pump is too loose to run the arms across.

shaz":2k3cof2l said:
Are you talking about the bale size sensors in the back of the baler.
FYI: I have a 435 too and have had the same problem but not consistently like your having. Mine was usually just an errant twine cycle

The sensor I replaces was the one that trips when the selector lever goes over it, actually JD calls it a switch...oops!! (I dont know the technical names of these things yet) it is # 17 in this picture(number 20 being the knob to adjust the size).

EP6040_________UN01JAN94.gif

The only thing that switch does is run the lights and beeper in your monitor. 435 and 535 have mechanical trips to start the wrapping. I would check for broken springs. There is a spring behind the setup you have pictured that pulls the mechanism (don't know the exact terms for it) back and a latch comes down and holds it until it gets tripped again. My guess is that spring is broken or unhooked and it isn't pulling this thing back and latching. It just floats there until you get enough hay in the chamber which will tension the drive belt and start wrapping. I see you got that image from JDparts. I don't know how to post the image that I am talking about but if you go to JDparts under 435 & 535 balers look up "twine pump" and you will see the springs and latch mechanism I am talking about. I believe somehwere in there you will find your problem. I hope that helps!

I have a 435 twine baler and that thing gives me fits sometimes, usually when i start it up for the first time. I would make sure everything is clean and lubricated well. That spring he was talking about is a heavy spring and its easy to find, i had to replace mine once. I would strongly suggest that you get an operators manual if you don't have one now. It shows all the adjustments that you can check and i'm lost without mine. I carry it in the tractor cab when i'm baling.

I just bought this baler last year and looked at the spring this weekend and it was broken and wired back up to the baler... I am going to get the new spring ordered and put on so maybe that will fix it! :clap:

Thanks for all the help,

Ben

Glad that you found the problem. It is always frustrating when you don't know what's going on. Usually turns out to be something simple once you know what you're looking for.

novaman":1a64qacb said:
Glad that you found the problem. It is always frustrating when you don't know what's going on. Usually turns out to be something simple once you know what you're looking for.

Not if you are me....... :lol:

Latest posts