JD 4030

Help Support CattleToday:

MCFD120

Reaction score
Good evening everybody! So I've got the opportunity to buy a John Deere 4030 it is a one owner that my wifes grandfather bought new tye tractor has 7k hours most of which has been loading hay and small jobs. My question is will this tractor handle my disc mower Vermeer 7040 9ft cut and also I come from a ford and now holland family so I have no clue what to watch for one these tractors anybody have any input on this older Deere's? Thank you all!!

We have a '75 4030 that spends most of its time in the hay field. It should be able to handle the disc mower unless you have some big hills. Personally, we'd like something with a little bit more power, but currently we don't have a barn/shed tall enough.

Good evening everybody! So I've got the opportunity to buy a John Deere 4030 it is a one owner that my wifes grandfather bought new tye tractor has 7k hours most of which has been loading hay and small jobs. My question is will this tractor handle my disc mower Vermeer 7040 9ft cut and also I come from a ford and now holland family so I have no clue what to watch for one these tractors anybody have any input on this older Deere's? Thank you all!!
Does the 4030 have a 8 speed synchro or a quad range (A,B,C,D - 1,2 - 3,4) transmission? A synchro probably has a dry clutch like a 4020. If it has been used to load a lot of hay or loader work in general a dry clutch is definitely a wear point. Not a bad thing, but an experience to be aware of.
Other than that, maybe a touch light on hp,but a great little tractor.

Should be okay on the disc mower. Loader should have enough weight to keep the front end down if it's a 3pt. My neighbor runs a 10ft Lely on a 4055.

4040 is a lot better tractor, the 40 series overall was much improved over the 30s. A 4440 will bring a lot more money than a 4430, all things equal.

7k hours is right where you may start to see some big repairs. Permaclutch and 2spd (if it's a quad), or the engine may be getting tired.

A 4030 is more or less an old 3020, where the 4040 had a bigger engine and was beefed up a little overall.

Thank you all for the replies so I did buy the tractor today so far im pretty impressed the tractor came with a list of receipts from our local Deere dealer it does have the 8 speed transmission which was worked on last fall im not sure what has been done it was just what my wife's grandfather had told me other than needing a good wash and wax the tractor seems pretty solid for what I paid for it 4k lol

Thank you all for the replies so I did buy the tractor today so far im pretty impressed the tractor came with a list of receipts from our local Deere dealer it does have the 8 speed transmission which was worked on last fall im not sure what has been done it was just what my wife's grandfather had told me other than needing a good wash and wax the tractor seems pretty solid for what I paid for it 4k lol

The synchro-ranges are pretty bullet proof. They probably just put synchros in the top half.