Jay-lor mixers

Help Support CattleToday:

ddg1263

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a jaylor mixer. The sales man claims that they save hay. He claims that you will cut back your hay cost to a 1/3. Is this true? If I feed out 250 bales of hay a year it would mean that I would only have to have about 85ish bales on hand going into next year. It would really help me on my pasture set up to because I could graze more pastures and add cows. Can someone confirm or deny that a jaylor mixer will reduce my hay expense for the year?

Only if it will cut your waste loss by 2/3. You need to keep in mind that grinding hay if done to much can shorten the length enough that you can have intestinal problems. Unless you're already set up with feed bunks it will take a helluva lot of cows or years to defray the cost of the mixer

Dun I am going to build a feed bunk system. My troughs are not set up right. They really abuse them but I do feed out in bunks. I have a lot of waste of my hay, and if I could cut my hay cost in half, then I would be able to pay for it.

Also I have thought about buying some concrete pipes and cutting them in half to make my new feed bunks. has anyone ever done that?

Looks easy. But reality is cutting concrete is hard work and expensive. You can sink a grand into a high quality saw and diamond blades in a hurry. Properly built forms are also expensive. The cheapest way is to buy them built. I can get 30' X10 ' for $100 each. About my cost to build one and that's with out my labor.

No experience with a Jay-lor but I can guarantee you won't cut your hay use by 66%. You may reduce your waste and save around 25%? The salesmen is filling you full of bologna. If you want cheap feed bunks you could go the route I did. I found a bunch of old tractor tires and had a local guy with a turning machine flip them inside out. Cost me about $25/tire. I love them because you can bump them and abuse them and they don't get broken up. I usually have one tire per 4-5 cows.

ddg you'll definitely cut down on waste feed but the first year savings will probably not cover the cost of the feeders or renovations to whatever you already have. These type mixers work best in larger operations, especially dairy.

Latest posts