Jason, Question

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Jason

I am just starting out and looking at purchasing approximately 7 Angus. What I would like is to raise the best beef I can with straight bred commercial Angus, and aquire more land to enlarge the heard. What do I need to look for in terms of production, carcass and ultrasound EPD's for Prime and Choice grade beef?

I am in Texas and I noticed that you sold to people in Mississippi. To make it feasible is there a minimum to purchase with the shipping cost and all? Moving them from Canada to the south, is there a better time of the year... I have a lot of questions, but this is all I will ask for now.

Thanks, Jayme

[email protected]

First off, Angus is probably the best carcass animal that is also a solid production animal as well. There are other specilized breeds that could out-marble Angus in some conditions, but they aren't economically feasible in most real world situations.

So now to producing the best beef possible, obviously you need to start with pure stock. Even for a commercial operation, purebred stock is the best start. If not all the animals, at the very least the bull(s). If you start with pure Angus females bred Angus, carcass epds won't be as important to start with, they will marble.

Other factors like not implanting calves and time on feed will also affect the marbling. Early weaning is prefered as opposed to weaning very late, as some research shows calves starved, or even lacking adequate nutrition at an early age can have reduced marbling.

Next, transporting cattle from Canada to Texas. I like to move them before our weather gets too cold and when yours is at its coldest. Time frame of late December works, but so will January and February if the North is in a mild type winter. Road conditions usually dictate the exact timing.

Cost is a relative factor. 60 cents a mile covers my costs to deliver one or tweleve. If a load can be shared cost per head is reduced. With the U.S dollar at such a premium to the Canadian buck, a full trailer load of registered bred heifers can be laid in for around $1600 each (U.S)If only one was on a load it could cost $2800. (2400 miles at $.60 + actual animal cost of $1350).

The production epds on the heifers I sell are in the top 25% of the breed. I raise them in a real world environment so they will adapt to any area.

I hope I have answered some questions, and not created too many more, but I will answer any I can.

Thanks for your questions.

Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus Farms Alberta Canada

[email protected]

Latest posts