Japanese beetles

Help Support CattleToday:

skyeagle

Reaction score
We need help and fast. Looks like We might lose all the
Peaches this year to Japanese Beetles. I need to know what
works? I just come in from looking at my four trees.
Peaches have big gouges with Beetles in them. Lost 40% of
the leaves. Never see the likes of it.

There was a master gardener on the news the other night and he said all you can do is hand pick the beetles and throw them in a bucket of soapy water, or you can put a misquito type netting over the tree.

dun

Skyeagle...probably to late for this year. Check out http://www.rescue.com. They have some fairly good traps. You can get ready for next year...buy some milky spore this fall and spread it over your lawn....fit will kill them while they "sleep" over the winter. It's fairly expensive but the only thing I know that works. Cheers, Bill

skyeagle":1lik4sp3 said:
We need help and fast. Looks like We might lose all the
Peaches this year to Japanese Beetles. I need to know what
works? I just come in from looking at my four trees.
Peaches have big gouges with Beetles in them. Lost 40% of
the leaves. Never see the likes of it.

I'm not sure if this is practical for you, but I learned this trick from a master gardener - get a can of skoal bandits or any other chewing tobacco that comes in the little pouches. Take a couple of the pouches (the number depends on how big your problem is) and steep them in hot water until the water turns a yucky brown color. Transfer to a sprayer and go to work! Just be careful what you spray, because the nicotine will kill any bug it comes in contact with. I've used it on plants to kill various types of destructive bugs, but I've never tried it on trees. I hope this helps!

Latest posts