Japan Halts U.S. Imports

Help Support CattleToday:

la4angus

Reaction score
Japan Halts U.S. Imports
Jan. 20, 2006

Japan halted U.S. beef imports today due to a recent shipment containing animal spines.

According to CNN.com, Japanese inspectors at Tokyo International Airport discovered three boxes of frozen beef containing attached spinal cord, a violation of the agreement to export U.S. beef from cattle 20 months of age and younger and free from a vertebral column.

The Japanese Agriculture Ministry has halted all U.S. beef imports until the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) can explain the findings.

The news comes as a devastating blow to the U.S. meat industry, just days after officials achieved encouraging trade breakthroughs with Singapore and Taiwan.

Secretary of Agriculture Mike Johanns announced this morning that the USDA is conducting a thorough investigation into the matter.

"The processing plant that exported this product has been de-listed and, therefore, can no longer export beef to Japan," Johanns said. "We will take the appropriate personnel action against the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) employee who conducted the inspection of the product in question and approved it to be shipped to Japan."

In his statement, Johanns announced a series of corrective actions.

"I am dispatching a team of USDA inspectors to Japan to work with Japanese inspectors to re-examine every shipment currently awaiting approval, to confirm compliance with the requirements of our export agreement with Japan," he said.

In addition, USDA inspectors will be sent to every processing plant approved for beef export to review procedures and ensure compliance with export agreements. Johanns is also requiring that two USDA inspectors review every shipment of U.S. beef for export to confirm compliance.

"I have also ordered unannounced inspections at every plant approved for beef export," he said. "We are in communication with Japanese officials and we will continue that dialogue to assure them that we take this matter very seriously and we are acting swiftly and firmly."

According to CNN, it is unclear how long the halt of imports will last

USDA Secy Blames Inspection For Export Problem
12:05 PM, January 20, 2006

1204 EST [Dow Jones] - USDA Secretary Mike Johanns said documentation from a
shipment of U.S. beef made it clear that vertebral column was included in the
shipment, but the USDA inspector that certified it "did not connect to the fact
that" it needed to be removed before it was sent to Japan. "This simply should
not have happened," Johanns told reporters. "I'm very unhappy about it." (ANP)

----------------------------

Today 1/20/2006 12:44:00 PM

Beef Backbone Processor Identified As Atlantic Veal & Lamb

DES MOINES, Iowa (Dow Jones)--A closely held Brooklyn, N.Y., meat processor, Atlantic Veal & Lamb, said Friday it included veal backbone material in a beef shipment to Japan because of a "misinterpretation" of export requirements.

The company's president, Philip Peerless, called the incident "an honest mistake."

"We sincerely regret that we shipped product not approved for export to Japan," he said in a statement, insisting that the item was safe "and is widely consumed" in the U.S.

"We regret that there was a misinterpretation of the export requirements and an honest mistake," his statement said.

The shipment is believed the company's first since Japan lifted its ban on U.S. beef imports several weeks ago.

"Were this product shipped to San Francisco, there would be no question about its safety. But because we shipped it to Japan, and because it contained bones that are not accepted by the Japanese, we have now been prohibited from exporting to Japan," Peerless was quoted as saying.

He said the material in question probably came from an animal less than 4-1/2 months old. The statement added:

"It is important to note that Atlantic Veal produces veal derived from very young animals - animals that have never tested positive for BSE (bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or mad-cow disease, which in a related form can be fatal to humans).
--------------------------
Northern Ag Network Radio is reporting that Senator Conrad Burns has told them that the beef in question came out of an Ohio plant that is owned by a NY firm....[b][/b]

good grief! :roll:

honest mistake my a-double!

so you think they'll have this worked out pretty soon O T ?

buckaroo_bif":cu8a521m said:
good grief! :roll:

honest mistake my a-double!

so you think they'll have this worked out pretty soon O T ?

Yeah- I think they will- but its just another example of the continuing ineptness of the bureaucracy making up the USDA- and their failure to truly act as a watchdog group- which just came out in the Inspector Generals latest report on GIPSA...

Things will be back on track soon I bet. I just don't see how this could have happened the idiots!

12 Steps The U.S. Is Instituting For The Japan Market

In a Friday press conference, USDA Secretary Mike Johanns outlined the 11 steps USDA is implementing in response to today's Japanese beef-trade situation.
Submit a report to the Japanese government on the U.S. investigation, its actions, and the consequences for failure to comply with our requirements.

The plant in question (Atlantic Veal & Lamb, Brooklyn, NY) has been de-listed for export of beef products into Japan. The government inspector who cleared the shipment may be disciplined, as well.

A second USDA Food Safety Inspection Service (FSIS) signature will be required on Beef Export Verification (BEV) certificates.

Unannounced USDA inspections will be a part of the BEV program.

FSIS held a conference call with district managers today to reaffirm requirements on all countries with which the U.S. has a BEV program.

Participation by all USDA District Offices and Offices of International Affairs in a Jan. 23 conference call to reaffirm requirements of all countries relative to the BEV program.

Require inspectors in these BEV plants to review procedures and ensure compliance.

No additional plants will be listed under the BEV programs until the proper procedures are in place.

A team will be dispatched to Japan to work with the Japanese government to review all shipments currently there and ensure compliance.

FSIS will conduct an investigation of the plant in question.

Further training of FSIS inspectors on BEV requirements and a required signed validation that they have successfully completed the training.

Conduct a meeting of all plants that participate in the BEV program to ensure that they have met the requirements.

Ah yes, these are the same folks that are going to be administering animal id , anyone want to take bets on how big a disaster thats gonna be

houstoncutter":3leu0rq9 said:
Ah yes, these are the same folks that are going to be administering animal id , anyone want to take bets on how big a disaster thats gonna be

Wait until the USDA tries to explain to the Japs that the plant that made the mistake was not even on the list that the Japs had inspected and approved.
What a bunch of morons we have at the USDA.

MikeC":5ehptmtv said:
houstoncutter":5ehptmtv said:

Wait until the USDA tries to explain to the Japs that the plant that made the mistake was not even on the list that the Japs had inspected and approved.

Mike I reread but fail to see how they were not on the list of exporters! It says the plant was ''delisted'' so that indicates to me that they were on the list.

mwj":3ekgmxct said:
MikeC":3ekgmxct said:
houstoncutter":3ekgmxct said:

Mike I reread but fail to see how they were not on the list of exporters! It says the plant was ''delisted'' so that indicates to me that they were on the list.

Flounder posted an article on the other board, and listed the approved plants. I did not see it on the "List".

MikeC":2202zd9w said:
mwj":2202zd9w said:
MikeC":2202zd9w said:
houstoncutter":2202zd9w said:

Flounder posted an article on the other board, and listed the approved plants. I did not see it on the "List".

Koizumi: Japan Halts U.S. Beef Imports (01/20/06 12:15)
By Richard Hanson, DTN Special Correspondent

TOKYO (DTN) - In a potentially major setback for just re-opened imports of American beef, Japanese government officials said Friday that imports of beef from the U.S. will be halted following the finding of beef imports that contain forbidden cattle parts, including the type that could transmit BSE.

There are diplomatic reports that imports have been banned until there is specific explanation by the U.S. government as to why this has happened.

According to the Ministry of Health, a Japanese site observation mission to the U.S from January 22nd will be postponed. Much will depend on how the U.S. government handles the problem on hand. At one level, this falls into a diplomatic matter. The Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs summoned the US Embassy in Japan.

Just how long any ban or trade suspension would last is crucial. A lot will depend on the reaction in the U.S. From the viewpoint of some business people in the beef industry, the priority should be an immediate step to mobilize before any ban becomes protracted. National broadcasts of the news came just around suppertime in Tokyo Friday.

Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi himself was seen on nationwide television following the initial reports that a relatively small shipment of the suspect meat had arrived by airfreight at Narita International Airport.

DTN COMMENTS: While this morning's headlines may sound bearish for the short-term future of U.S. beef exports, cash traders are focusing on friendly fundamentals. Southern packers are starting to buy cattle in Kansas and Texas, paying $2-3 more than last week. We expect trade volume in that area to be moderate to active by the time everything is said and done. Furthermore, we could see further price strength in the North since at least one major still needs to secure better short-term coverage. Asking prices are generally 97+ in the South, and 153-155 in the North.

As far as the banning of U.S. beef by Japan is concerned, we now know a few more details. It sounds like the responsible shipper was a small veal plant in New York. The beef in question was harvested from calves approximately 6 months of age. Secretary Johanns has admitted that the terms of the exporting agreement signed late last year have been violated (i.e., parts of back bone and/or spinal cord were found in the disputed shipment). .This plant has been delisted as a certified exported., and Johanns has launched an investigation of the entire inspection process. Although it's difficult to say how big of a problem this represents at this point, we assume that Japan will take an extended period of time reviewing the situation. Furthermore, this could work to jeopardize exporting prospects to other Pacific Rim customers. On the other hand, the fact that this situation involved beef well below the 20 month standard may help in limiting it's wider significance.

Although cattle futures opened sharply lower in the face of the Japanese news, contracts have recovered to near unchanged at mid-session. Obviously this recovery is linked to stronger cash bids and "who needs Japan" attitudes.

For more News Headlines and Commodity Quotes, please visit http://www.teamauctionsales.com.

From what I've read and gathered- This was a Brooklyn NY firm that uses several slaughter plants...The meat (veal calf meat) in question came from an Ohio plant..They had applied for and been given approval from the USDA, BUT had not been inspected by the Japanese inspectors and approved as was part of the agreement.......

Just another example to the USDA having absolutely no idea what they are doing or where they are going!!!!

HERE GO AGAIN...

Monday January 23, 2006

Japanese officials today said they would not resume U.S. beef imports without an explanation of how spinal material appeared in a shipment of U.S. beef last Friday, Jan. 20, Reuters reported.

U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Robert Zoellick met with Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary Shinzo Abe and Foreign Minister Taro Aso today to discuss beef imports. According to Japanese news source Asahi Shimbum, Abe explained to Zoellick that Japanese customers won't buy U.S. beef unless suspicions are cleared.

Zoellick proposed talks between American and Japanese officials regarding preventive measures.

USDA Undersecretary J.B. Penn is scheduled to meet with officials there tomorrow.

Meanwhile, American Meat Institute (AMI) president and CEO J. Patrick Boyle identified the mistaken shipment as bone-in veal. He expressed regret over the shipment not approved for export to Japan and pledged to work with USDA and Japanese officials to address the situation.

And the idiots are worried about our beef?

Japan Discovers 22nd BSE Case

The American Meat Institute (AMI) reported today that Japan's Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries has confirmed the country's 22nd case of BSE in a 64-month-old cow that died last week on a farm in northern Japan.
According to Reuters, a ministry official reported the Holstein cow would be destroyed and would not enter the market.
Japan reportedly maintains a 100% testing policy, testing all cattle for BSE prior to harvest.

[/b]

I think the ''idiots'' are more concerned that the co. that sent the veal did not follow the RULESANDREGULATIONS that they said they would. Most of us would do the same if we purchased a specific thing under contract and some bozo just decided he would send what we needed!