Japan and NCBA talk War

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Japanese Consumers say NO TEST- NO SALE....

Some Japanese demand U.S. inspection of each beef animal

By KANA INAGAKI/The Associated Press

Lincoln Journal Star

June 15, 2006

Nebraska, US

TOKYO — Opponents of U.S. beef imports to Japan accused the government of failing to ensure consumer safety, and demanded at a public hearing Wednesday that Washington inspect every cow that goes to slaughter for mad cow disease.

The hearing was the last of ten public meetings on the safety of U.S. beef, which was banned in January after inspectors found a shipment of American veal that violated Japanese import restrictions.

Japanese officials made a presentation to the crowd of about 400 people gathered in a Tokyo hall to show how safety steps would prevent the importation of American meat infected with mad cow disease.

The hearings are a prelude to final government deliberations on when to lift the ban. Washington has been pushing hard to resume selling to Japan, which was once U.S. beef's most lucrative overseas market.

Hirofumi Kugita, an Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Ministry official, assured the crowd that Tokyo would respond firmly to any more violations of Japan's import law.

"If parts at risk for the disease are mixed in with other beef after the ban is removed, then we will of course take necessary measures such as to stop the import from the disputed facility," he said.

Government assurances were met with scorn by vocal members of the crowd, who questioned the efficacy of U.S. safety measures and accused Tokyo of putting a higher priority on pleasing Washington, a top ally, than protecting its own citizens.

Some pointed to the lifting of a prior ban on U.S. beef, which was imposed after the discovery of mad cow — bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or BSE — in 2003. That ban was lifted just last December, only to be reimposed in January.

"Last year, the import of US beef was resumed despite the fact that most people expressed opposition toward lifting the ban. I feel again that the resumption is still too early," said Junko Takaya, of the BSE Citizens Network.

Other opponents called for the United States to adopt Japanese safety standards, which require the testing of every cow going to market for mad cow.

One activist called Tokyo the "lapdog" of the United States.

Japanese and U.S. officials wrapped up negotiations on U.S. beef safety steps in mid-May, but did not set a timetable for the resumption of the beef trade.

The U.S. has pushed to resume exports by the end of June, saying that they have taken sufficient steps to prevent the spread of disease. But Japanese officials said public meetings must be held first. They also asked for more information on U.S. meatpacking plants that export the beef.

The harsh consumer reaction at the hearing indicated how difficult it will be for U.S. beef to regain its market position in Japan. Since the 2003 ban, beef imports from Australia have boomed. Japan bought about $1.4 billion worth of U.S. beef in 2003.

Mad cow disease is a degenerative nerve disease in cattle. Eating contaminated meat products has been linked to the rare but fatal human variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.
--------------------------------------------------------

NCBA says to force them into submission- use retalitory measures-- it worked back in '45 - use the "remind them of the Enola Gay" tactic :roll: But in my opinion thats where most of the NCBA policies are- back in '45 ;-)

Today 6/14/2006 3:32:00 PM

NCBA: Cattlemen Favor Ban On Japanese Beef, Additional Sanctions

DENVER (June 14, 2006) – In action taken today, the Executive Committee of the National Cattlemen's Beef Association (NCBA) voted unanimously to support retaliatory measures hinging on the immediate resumption of beef trade with Japan.

The NCBA Executive Committee voted to support legislation instructing the Bush Administration to institute agricultural and non-agricultural sanctions against Japan if beef trade is not immediately resumed. The resolution was offered by Bill Zimmerman, a cattleman from Foley, Minn., who serves as NCBA Region III vice president. The committee also voted in unanimous support of S. 3364, introduced by U.S. Senator Ben Nelson (D-Neb.) on June 5, 2006. Nelson's legislation would ban importation of any beef from Japan into the United States until Japan reopens its border to U.S. beef. The resolution supporting S. 3364 was introduced by Eden, Idaho, cattleman Cevin Jones, NCBA Region V vice president.

Japan ceased all imports of U.S. beef in December 2003, following discovery of the first U.S. case of BSE. The market reopened to a limited range of products in December 2005, but was closed again in January following a technical violation of trade specifications by one U.S. plant on a single shipment of veal.

NCBA President Mike John of Huntsville, Mo., said it has always been the association's preference to resolve the trade impasse with Japan through negotiations based on sound scientific principles, not retaliation. But repeated delays by Japan have forced cattlemen to support more aggressive action.

"As I have emphasized many times, all we are asking for is fair treatment by Japan based on internationally accepted guidelines," John said. "The last thing we want is a trade war, but at some point you just have to say, 'enough is enough.'"

John said NCBA has been a leader in promoting free, fair and reliable trade, because NCBA members believe strongly in this policy and feel that it is in the best interest of U.S. cattlemen. But trade will only benefit America's cattle industry if trading partners act with integrity and accountability.

"It's not always easy to be an advocate for free and fair trade, and NCBA is sometimes criticized for abiding by these principles," John said. "I can accept that, because leadership is about doing the right thing for your industry, not simply doing what is popular. But there comes a time when we must demand cooperation and fair treatment by our trading partners. It's about time they displayed some leadership and integrity as well."

John said he understands the value of the U.S.-Japan trade relationship, but hopes other U.S. industries will see the need for decisive action. Agricultural exports are critical to our nation's balance of trade and the strength of the rural economy.

"This is about more than just beef. This is about the United States being productive, and not settling for being a consumer nation. To do that we must demand that our products are given fair treatment in the world market, and we are calling for immediate retaliatory measures if the border remains shut."

Mike John":38u8hmgf said:
"This is about more than just beef. This is about the United States being productive, and not settling for being a consumer nation. To do that we must demand that our products are given fair treatment in the world market, and we are calling for immediate retaliatory measures if the border remains shut."

That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard... I mean, that's just mind-blowingly stupid.. What this idiot clearly fails to understand is that the United States isn't in the driver's seat anymore in the so-called "global economy." Asia owns so much of our debt that they could CRUSH us if they decided to stop lending and start collecting.. The only reason they haven't so far is because we use the money they loan us to buy more of their stuff... To simply say that we're a "consumer nation" is a gross understatement.

And now this fool wants to put sanctions, embargoes, and/or steep tariffs on Japan? Yeah, let's do that.. Let's just see how quick they stop buying debt from us if we refuse to buy their stuff, and let's see how quickly the rest of the world follows suit when they see the lengths to which we're willing to go to try and FORCE our exports upon our creditors...

Let's watch interest rates skyrocket as the Fed begs and pleads with a bunch of cheap-credit-addicted Americans to STOP BORROWING!! Let's see how quickly the Fed and Treasury is forced to inflate the US Dollar into oblivion when we have no choice but to print cash money out of thin air to cover our obligations, because nobody will continue loaning us money to cover the interest -- not to mention the fact that we simply don't generate the *revenue* to pay even a fraction of what we owe!!

Suffice it to say that Mike John can walk around talking bad all he wants, but the bottom line is that we're EFFED when Asia *says* we're effed.. The sad fact of the matter is that we'd do well NOT to piss them off at this point..

It sends chills down my spine to think that the head of an organization as large as the NCBA doesn't know any better than to be this incredibly stupid... The most galling part is right at the end when he had the nerve to literally point out his own leadership skills.. Oh, how I'd laugh and laugh -- if I it didn't make me want to vomit.. :mad: :roll:

cmjust0":2sm829hy said:
Mike John":2sm829hy said:

That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard... I mean, that's just mind-blowingly stupid.. What this idiot clearly fails to understand is that the United States isn't in the driver's seat anymore in the so-called "global economy." Asia owns so much of our debt that they could CRUSH us if they decided to stop lending and start collecting.. The only reason they haven't so far is because we use the money they loan us to buy more of their stuff... To simply say that we're a "consumer nation" is a gross understatement.

And now this fool wants to put sanctions, embargoes, and/or steep tariffs on Japan? Yeah, let's do that.. Let's just see how quick they stop buying debt from us if we refuse to buy their stuff, and let's see how quickly the rest of the world follows suit when they see the lengths to which we're willing to go to try and FORCE our exports upon our creditors...

Let's watch interest rates skyrocket as the Fed begs and pleads with a bunch of cheap-credit-addicted Americans to STOP BORROWING!! Let's see how quickly the Fed and Treasury is forced to inflate the US Dollar into oblivion when we have no choice but to print cash money out of thin air to cover our obligations, because nobody will continue loaning us money to cover the interest -- not to mention the fact that we simply don't generate the *revenue* to pay even a fraction of what we owe!!

Suffice it to say that Mike John can walk around talking bad all he wants, but the bottom line is that we're EFFED when Asia *says* we're effed.. The sad fact of the matter is that we'd do well NOT to be nice them off at this point..

It sends chills down my spine to think that the head of an organization as large as the NCBA doesn't know any better than to be this incredibly stupid... The most galling part is right at the end when he had the nerve to literally point out his own leadership skills.. Oh, how I'd laugh and laugh -- if I it didn't make me want to vomit.. :mad: :roll:

cmjust0- You about hit the nail on the head...This is just like the Packers/AMI/NCBA telling the Eurpopean Union that they were wrong in requiring implant-hormone free beef (doesn't fit USDA's "sound science" :???: )-and refusing to give them what they wanted....EU ( and the consumers of Europe) refused to take US beef- they went to the WTO courts ( what a joke :roll: ) and the US won- but the EU and the consumers of Europe are still refusing to take US beef unless it is certified Hormone free....This has gone on for over 10 years and we are still not shipping beef to the EU.......

We are the seller- we should be providing what the buyer wants- not what we want them to want......

Oldtimer":2jqa1vep said:
We are the seller- we should be providing what the buyer wants- not what we want them to want......

Especially when it's one of precious few things that we still produce.. :oops:

Did you know that the US is now a *net importer* of food?? Yep.. We import more food than we produce for ourselves now.. :eek:

Latest posts