January morning

Help Support CattleToday:

Do you halter break all of your cows? I know you can stand on them and fire a gun... ;)
Not all of them are halter broke, but I try and halter my heifers and at least get to the point they don't freak out about getting tied, etc, The ones from that cow line are all much more compliant with me and it's pretty easy to do. In the spring I halter them and lead them out of the corrals for some fresh green grass, and that's definitely a strong motivator.. I get haltered, I get green grass.. DEAL

A few momma's were already at the solar pumphouse waiting for me to break the ice and get it going for the day. That's it for rounds. Back to the couch till the temp raises a bit.PXL_20210124_160559994.jpg

Sun helps a lot. The wind is pretty light in the sheltered areas. There's times when -20f feels lethal in minutes, today it doesn't seem so bad. Did a fair amount of walking in it. I pretty much live in a pair of "extreme cold" Carhartt's though.

Temps were cool here yesterday (12F) but we're up to about 20F today.. overcast... I don't like temps under -10F, that's when I start to complain... I don't think I'd like manitoba weather too much

Has been near -20 celcius the last few days. Light snow and -4 at present.

The cows get water from a fast flowing little river. It has to get below 0 and stay there for a while before I have to chop ice.

I had never heard of a Brisket tag until I saw this picture. I had to look it up.
Really? Funny what's regional.There was another thread about ear tags - everyone talking about which ones stay in etc. I was going to mention brisket tags are a really permanent solution but it was about ear tags so I kept my mouth shut lol. They come pre printed with the number and last as long as a cow in my experience. I've never personally had a cow lose one. My boss's cows lose the odd one but he feeds in bunks. When you graduate from a heifer to a cow you get one here.

I ruined what could've been an easy day. Got ambitious and decided to take the new (to me) tractor for the last load of hay far from home. Turned into an episode. Much worse than it looks. Dug it out with a shovel lol. Why do I do such foolish things? 5.5 hrs instead of 1.5PXL_20210124_202145495.MP.jpg

I laugh but dang that's gotta suck.. that's a nice piece of iron there!

Was it just deep snow or was there soft stuff under it?
Thanks. Pretty pumped about it. Well used but seemed like a really good home. Only way I could afford such a thing. Test flight was a little more than I bargained for, lol.

It was a drift and a ditch. Just snow. They don't plow the Rd allowance in that area on account of it being in the middle of nowhere. Tried to plow in with my new toy and couldn't make it. Hard to back out with a fifth wheel, ended up going off the side. Lucky all it took was a shovel - would've been a big favor to get a pull way out there.

That makes my back sore just thinking about what you went through.
I deserved it and just glad I didn't have to bug anyone to go down there with a tractor to help because I was stubborn. Should've just unhooked to plow - never would've happened.

Latest posts