January morning

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
A January morning on the feed row. The cows were happy to see us this morning. Although they were sure looking for the alfalfa. They are getting 2 bales of grass hay. On Tuesday and Saturday it is one bale grass and one bale of alfalfa. As I flaked off the first bale they would sniff a flake and keep following the truck. I guess I need to get them a better calendar, it is the wrong day for alfalfa.
The bunch farther out in the second picture is the neighbors critters. I guess we weren't as inspired to get out early this morning. When we feed before they do their cows all come to the fence and bawl at us.

Attachments

• P1202313.JPG
    P1202313.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 36
  • P1202315.JPG
    P1202315.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 35
My rat terrier dog gets a Caesar bowl on sat, sun, and holidays. first morning with the old dry dog food is not her favorite meal, but she eats it after she knows that she will not be getting a Caesar bowl. funny that some people say animals are stupid. nice looking cattle and country side.

Every day when I feed, I have a couple cows in particular that have to inspect EVERY bale to decide on which one is the tastiest.. others like cleaning out the leaves that fell into the quad trailer, others need to rub the handles off the quad before eating.

Love the snow hate the cold.

Kinda like the cows....
It isn't cold today, it is actually above freezing now. The snow is starting to slush off on the roads. I think the cows are looking pretty good for a put together bunch of broken mouth cows bought at cow sales by a couple of cheap skates. Blue ear tag in the left ear and branded on the right rib are mine. Yellow ear tag in the right ear and branded on the left hip belong to B. I think mine look better but then I was willing to pay a little more.

Those cows look in good shape as I believe you will do good with them. It takes a while for those sale sticker to finally go off. I have one I bet I have had 4-5 months that still has the sale barn sticker on her. I usually pull them off when I work them, but missed that one

Makes it difficult to be compassionate when they're ingrates. :rolleyes:
There was one yesterday who walked along side the truck in just the right place. I would push off a flake and it would land on her back. A corner of it on the truck and a big part resting on her back. Eventually it would fall to the ground. But it went that way for most of the bale. This morning they must of forgot about the alfalfa because they all went right to eating. Tomorrow is alfalfa day......... Hmmm I just realized that. I already loaded two bales of grass for tomorrow. I guess I will have to unload one of the grass bales and load an alfalfa. They would really be mad at me if I forgot their alfalfa.

There was one yesterday who walked along side the truck in just the right place.
Be thankful if its just one. I have a few hog fat girls who make it a point to belly up to the bar post haste seeking the best and trample everything in their wake. Lucky for them they toe the line otherwise they'd wind up on cull list due to aggravating me beyond the call of duty.

Be thankful if its just one. I have a few hog fat girls who make it a point to belly up to the bar post haste seeking the best and trample everything in their wake. Lucky for them they toe the line otherwise they'd wind up on cull list due to aggravating me beyond the call of duty.
Oh, there was more than one. It is just that the one kept pace with the truck right in the right position to catch every flake that came off the truck. These are all broken mouth cows. None of them are what I would call "hog fat". The majority are in good shape but there are a few who could use a couple extra pounds. Hopefully they will all be hog fat come August.

I think the cows are looking pretty good for a put together bunch of broken mouth cows bought at cow sales by a couple of cheap skates.
Bred cow prices start going up here at this time of year. Days are longer, winter is half over, and fewer of the sale cows are sort offs.
Do you see the same thing?

I'm pretty jealous of that bare ground. I had to go plow the trail to the pumphouse after work yesterday because it blew in and my wife got stuck 4x trying to get to it. Only good thing was it gave me an excuse to spend time in my new (to me) tractor.

Bred cow prices start going up here at this time of year. Days are longer, winter is half over, and fewer of the sale cows are sort offs.
Do you see the same thing?
There was two cow sales last week. 300-400 cows at each sale. Cow prices do go up. But I am willing to pay more. The cows I bought in early November cost me a $560 average. The ones I bought last week were a $710 average. Bigger better cows last week but at $2 a day for winter feed and 2 months behind me I can afford to pay more.
I went to Vale on Wednesday to buy cows for B. When I got there I went out to the vet's chute. They had 8 bred cows. All too big and too young to fit our program so I just turned around and drove home. No use sitting through 1,000 head of feeder calves to watch some cows I won't bid on sell.

Latest posts