Jamal Khashoggi

Help Support CattleToday:

For sure there is hypocrisy in the US approach to different countries. In some cases, we aggressively speak against the government of a country - sometimes even physically attack them or their people. Declare them our enemy. In other cases, we and they pretend to be friends. All because we have determined there is some common goal. Then we overlook bad behavior or even try to hide it. But, good is good and bad is bad and our official approach does not really change the truth. Perhaps our reputation suffers from this approach.

When I am in charge, we will put the US first. But we won't send money/bribes to other countries to pretend to be friends. We won't attack other countries unless they attack us first. We won't assassinate their people. We won't tell them how to run their country. We won't try to right all the wrongs in the world. We won't finance insurrections. We will just try to solve our own issues - we have plenty already. Who gave us the right to tell everyone else (countries) how to behave? Sort of like going to school and forming a gang to control the rest of the students. That would not be right. Do each of us have the right to control our neighbor, tell them what to do and how to do it and take drastic action if he does not. I am of the opinion that I worry about myself, my land and home, put up a fence and keep my stuff in my fence, and leave my neighbors to do with their land whatever they please - unless they attack me or my stuff or put their cows in my pasture. Now, I am very willing to lend a helping hand if a neighbor asks for help. But not trying to force my will on him. Should our behavior as a country be different?
We fight too many wars and promote too much conflict in the world. Some wars have been noble. Most have been political.

All wars are political at base. The heads of states in every modern nation and most developing nations (we're no longer supposed to say '3rd world' nations) are all politicians, even the UK's royal (pita) family.

When was the last time you heard of a war or conflict started solely by a nation's military and/or without support of it's governing elite?
Hasn't happened in my lifetime.

All wars are political at base. The heads of states in every modern nation and most developing nations (we're no longer supposed to say '3rd world' nations) are all politicians, even the UK's royal (pita) family.

When was the last time you heard of a war or conflict started solely by a nation's military and/or without support of it's governing elite?
Hasn't happened in my lifetime.
I just wonder if that word "elite" is the right one here. Sure all politicians are political. So maybe all wars are political in that sense. But I believe that WW2 for instance was for a noble purpose - entirely justified and made a difference in the future. The wars since then - not so much. Was Vietnam worth the effort in the end? Communist government took over immediately. Was the situation better after we left than when we started? Iraqi wars - did we have the second one because Hussain tried to have Bush #1 assassinated or because he was a threat to the world with his WMD's? Did the wars there improve the outlook for the region, put democracy in place, make the world safer? Should we have gone there in the first place? Afghanistan? How many years now? What was accomplished? USA is much to quick to get involved in these wars.

Never understood why the U.S. should do anything about someone who is allegedly murdered in Turkey, whose body has not been found. Hadn't heard of any evidence of this crime, just opinions and allegations. He may be on a beach drinking margaritas somewhere. Why do we care and why does this get so much media attention.

Never understood why the U.S. should do anything about someone who is allegedly murdered in Turkey, whose body has not been found. Hadn't heard of any evidence of this crime, just opinions and allegations. He may be on a beach drinking margaritas somewhere. Why do we care and why does this get so much media attention.
There's video of him going into the consulate in Istanbul, followed by several Saudis affiliated with the Saudi government. No video of him leaving, but the Saudis leave with suitcases and plastic bags. One of the Saudis left wearing the clothes that Kashoggi wore in. There are recorded phone calls of the Saudis talking about cutting up a body. There is audio of Kashoggi pleading for his life and being tortured.

A foreign government murdering a journalist who has been critical of that government is worthy of attention. Especially so when that journalist is a US resident and the father of 3 US citizens.

Sounds like a government ordered murder to me. Pretty sure he did not die of the flu. Government bad in many countries. Less government is better government most of the time, maybe all the time.