jack

Help Support CattleToday:

bird dog

Reaction score
What kind of jack do you folks carry with you to change the tire on a loaded cattle trailer? I carry a small bottle jack but last time I had this situation I had to pull into the grass to get off a busy highway and I had to roll the front tire up on some boards to get enough clearance to get he jjack under an axle. Surely there is a better way.
Thanks

I keep a 6" block with a 2X6 about 12 " and if I have a flat I just place the ramp and block in front or behind the good tire and when you roll up un it the flat tire is off the ground. single axel trailers I usally just put my hilift jack in the truck

I carry a couple of 4x6 blocks. The same one I use to put under the jacks when I unhook.
They're about 18" long. On my trailers I can pull the good tire up on the blocks and change the other without using a Jack.

My trucks also all have a highlift and a Bootle Jack on board

A standard high lift works on our trailers. Gotta be careful with them though.

I use 4 pieces of 2x8 screwed on top of one another. Top piece is 6" long, next is 8", next is 10", then bottom is 12". I try to keep one of these with each trailer. works great as a ramp to change tires, plus I use it as a block under the jack when unhooked too. I also keep a low profile bottle jack in the truck. I know floor jacks work best but I can't bring myself to carry one all the time. I hate high lift jacks - I have a couple, but I view them as a necessary evil.

Fence, I hate seeing cinderblocks used for that kind of stuff. Seen too many of 'em crumble when weight is on them like that.

(Looks like you got all the good and all the extra few miles out of that one after it went flat you could)

I carry a cell phone and my AAA card. If push came to shove I would use the truck jack.

DLD":iegr17un said:
I use 4 pieces of 2x8 screwed on top of one another. Top piece is 6" long, next is 8", next is 10", then bottom is 12". I try to keep one of these with each trailer. works great as a ramp to change tires, plus I use it as a block under the jack when unhooked too. I also keep a low profile bottle jack in the truck. I know floor jacks work best but I can't bring myself to carry one all the time. I hate high lift jacks - I have a couple, but I view them as a necessary evil.

I used boards screwed together in the same fashion as well. I also hate Hi Lift jacks, but they make a pretty decent come along, and winch as well.

callmefence":1yo7q53u said:
Literally going on right NOW....

Cinder blocks are not designed to support weight in that direction, flip it up 90 degrees like it'd be laid and it's a whole lot safer. A boy was killed here about 20 years ago working under a car when the blocks holding it up crumbled, that made a lasting impression on me.

Mostly because you have to use a jack point pretty high up, making them less stable than a bottle jack or hyd floor jack.
I had one slip out when changing a rear tractor tire one time. It's wasn't pretty.

They got their place tho and mejor que nada.

wbvs58":ahttkcl6 said:
What do you blokes hate about Hi lifts?

Ken

Dangerous and you have to take all the spring out before it'll start lifting. A High lift jack can't pick a heavy load up, and the jack is always pushing as it's lifting. A High lift jack is a great tool, but a 20 ton hydraulic jack is the best thing to carry for changing flat tires.

dun":392lt33d said:
I carry a cell phone and my AAA card. If push came to shove I would use the truck jack.

Similar here. I pay a few dollars a month for a roadside assistance rider on my auto insurance, and I'm not afraid to use it.

Latest posts