J560 Trailer Plug Upgrade. No more 7-way Blade.

Help Support CattleToday:

4x4dually

Reaction score
For those of you that are sick to death of your 7-way blade (RV type) trailer plugs and receptacles, there is an affordable alternate. The SAE J560, heavy duty, tractor-trailer type, plug and receptacle. I went to these on my trailers years ago and don't have any trouble with them. They use a round pin instead of those crappy flat blades that always smash down and don't make good contact. You can buy them at NAPA in plastic, metal, and fused metal versions.

The standard J560 wiring has independent stop and turn signals. The attached is an alternate wiring method that will give you combined stop/turn signals as well as a brake wire and auxiliary power.

For you OCD types, the standard color codes shown here match the colors embossed in the plugs and recepts and follow the standard wiring colors for 99% of all trailers manufactured today (minus the red being used for reverse lights).

This is also a great deterrent for those who ask to borrow your trailer. :mrgreen:

They also make a cleaner tool for them.

25980728_ipa_ipa7867_pri_larg.jpg

4x4dually":3lswdv28 said:
This is also a great deterrent for those who ask to borrow your trailer. :mrgreen:

Just makes it worse as far as borrowing in my scenario. Now the sister wants to use one of my trucks too.

If you wanted to you could easily enough make an adapter from one to the other

Yes, I am sick of the poor quality of the blade types, but my buddy works at a logging outfit and he replaces the round pin types plenty too.. I have found Hopkins makes tolerable quality blade types.

CaddoFarms":3721opj5 said:
I'm glad you posted this, I need to add a 7way to my 1 ton and will use this instead of the regular. Thank you

Glad it was of more use than wasted bandwidth. ;)

Nesikep":3721opj5 said:
If you wanted to you could easily enough make an adapter from one to the other

Yes, I am sick of the poor quality of the blade types, but my buddy works at a logging outfit and he replaces the round pin types plenty too.. I have found Hopkins makes tolerable quality blade types.

After watching the so-called loggers on Ax-Men......I can't imagine ANYTHING lasting more than a week in that industry. LOL

Latest posts