J.R. Ewing is at it again.

Help Support CattleToday:

Robert,

the more I read, the more I fear that your last phrase is the most close to the truth.

I think the truth is that the extreme left is driving all this and co -opting the do gooders in the world as their unwitting accomplises.

I also think that big oil and big auto including guvment motors is supressing any new technology and new fuels as hard as they can, unless they have the rights to it.

When demand exceeds supply prices go up. Oil and cattle are no different. And it is not just actual supply but predicted or projected or expected supply and demand. Speculators can push the price up in any commody. The notion of some grand conspiracy is silly.

Douglas":d4pz4oi4 said:
When demand exceeds supply prices go up. Oil and cattle are no different. And it is not just actual supply but predicted or projected or expected supply and demand. Speculators can push the price up in any commody. The notion of some grand conspiracy is silly.

why thank you Douglas.....

I have long prided myself for being apart from the herd.

I would pray that simple economics is driving things .....

but I think it is geo -political - economics.

but if I am wrong why is it that we can not explore in america or off our shores anymore for suspected deposits.

why is it that detroit cannot manufacture a dependable economical car. It is not the excuse that prople won't buy it. the volkwagen bettle was a family staple in the seventies. I might buy one today if it did not cost 20 grand. (I am guessing)

why has most american manufacturing been driven off shore to the point that liberal media on abc did a series of reports about how hard it is to find products made in america. a good cheap car cannot meet the safety and environmental standards that have been shoved up various apertures.

I am going to stop there before I get wound up......

after all ......you inteligent people all know that some of us morons are just silly.......

Our government is out of control and do gooders want constantly more government oversight in our daily lives.

but if I am wrong why is it that we can not explore in america or off our shores anymore for suspected deposits.
Because we through our elected elected don't want too. We prefer the scenic view without drilling rigs. We over react to spills and accident, or companies don't think the deposits are worth the cost to bring them in. why is it that detroit cannot manufacture a dependable economical car. It is not the excuse that prople won't buy it. the volkwagen bettle was a family staple in the seventies. I might buy one today if it did not cost 20 grand. (I am guessing)
Because small cars cost Detroit about $1500 more to make than their foreign competitors. they prefer the more profitable SUV and trucks and leave the small vehicles to Japan and korea. why has most american manufacturing been driven off shore to the point that liberal media on abc did a series of reports about how hard it is to find products made in america. a good cheap car cannot meet the safety and environmental standards that have been shoved up various apertures. Agree with most of that and we manfacture more in the US (at least before the current recession) than ever. We just do it with fewer people. The labor intensive products and things cheap to ship (small parts, textiles, etc.) go off shore because we as consumer buy the cheapest product regardless of where it comes from.I am going to stop there before I get wound up......

after all ......you inteligent people all know that some of us morons are just silly.......
I don't think you are a moron at,all just mistaken. US oil companies control only 20% of the worlds oil and have very littly control of the world price. Gas prices go higher in every country when oil rises even those with no US oil companies present. To blame high gas prices on an oil and detroit collusion is without any foundation in truth, IMHO. That would require literally thousands of people working together in concert.Our government is out of control and do gooders want constantly more government oversight in our daily lives.
Agree completely

PS there is no one on this board more conservative than me

HOWEVER....
about forty percent of the population is not in my back yard types of left leaning do gooders.
yet we end up with the stranglehold regulations we live under today because of the elected and moreso the unelected..
I am surrounded by bureacrats who write the regulations that lawmakers don't read, don't understand and yet pass anyway. I have spent years tilting at these windmills.
If put to a popular vote we would be drilling in some of these areas the next day.
Here in Va the state and majority of the population want to explore off shore. Obama stopped it in one fell swoop when the gulf oil spill happened.

the foreign cars cannot be made much cheaper than the us models because of the safety and environmental regulations. my boss is an environmental whacko. she is currently driving a fifteen year old smoke grenade disguised as an automobile and fusing about other people polluting.
look at some of the small cars used widely in europe. cars smaller than the bettle but they could never be approved in the U.S.

I never said that big oil and detroit were colluding. guvment motors does not need big oil now and their goals are somewhat divergent..

you are thinking like a capitalist and this is no longer a free capitalist country.

http://www.forbes.com/2003/10/06/cx_dl_1006feat.html

The japanese can make cars cheaper because their cost of production is lower, nothing to do with safety.

From the above link:

Detroit's dirty little secret is that a lot of its cars don't make any money.

While most pickup trucks, sport utility vehicles and luxury cars are profitable, automakers tend to lose money on cars that sell for under $30,000. The trick is figuring out which ones.

Unfortunately for Detroit, its small cars have the opposite relationship between sticker and transaction prices. The outgoing Chevrolet Malibu, for example, has an MSRP of about $18,000--but dealers are selling it for $13,000. Cars like the Chevrolet Cavalier and Dodge Neon tend not to make money for Detroit. The small trucks and cars are commodities with fierce overseas competition, so pricing pressure is heavy.

High labor costs contribute to Detroit's struggle with profitability as well. The average American factory worker makes about $47 an hour, and the labor rates are typically the same for small and big cars. Engineering and manufacturing costs are also more severe in the initial years of a new vehicle. If a car company sets up a $500 million plant, payable over the first two years, the calculated costs of building cars go down once the tooling has been amortized. American automakers' inability to make much money on smaller passenger cars has created their current lopsided focus on trucks. In 1990, 33% of General Motors' sales were light trucks, but by 2002 that number had climbed to 58%--and to 65% at Ford and 76% at Chrysler

Latest posts