J.D. 4230 ?

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
Went and looked at a 4230 with a loader on it. It was traded in and guy said it didnt have enough compression to start it. Any one had any similar trouble with one of these and what would it cost to fix.

You could do a compression check on all the cylinders to see exactly what kind of pressure it's got. But I'd be willing to bet the problem is in the fuel delivery and/or timing.

Those engines are wet-sleeved if I'm not mistaken, pretty easy to rebuild.

cfpinz":2yv40m6v said:
You could do a compression check on all the cylinders to see exactly what kind of pressure it's got. But I'd be willing to bet the problem is in the fuel delivery and/or timing.

That is what I was thinking. He said the compression was like 85 psi on one cyl and 120 on another cyl and so on. I figured it had to be in the timing. But I dont know to much on the diesel side of things. I think I could handle rebuilding it just didnt want to bite off more than I can chew.

It has a nice loader on it and looks ok. price is 12500 is that about right or way to much?

There is also a case 2094 but the 3 point dont work and there is a lot of oil build up on the injection pump and rear end housing but it looks like it has never been washed.

I went looking at a 7700 ford ( 11500) but the throw out bearing makes noise or at least that is what I thought it was.

For that price it should start and run, it is way to high for that condition. A overhaul will cost $2000-4000 for parts depending on how far you have to go (head work, fuel pump, injectors, radiator ect).

JHH":wp01aisn said:
cfpinz":wp01aisn said:

That is what I was thinking. He said the compression was like 85 psi on one cyl and 120 on another cyl and so on. I figured it had to be in the timing. But I dont know to much on the diesel side of things. I think I could handle rebuilding it just didnt want to bite off more than I can chew.

It has a nice loader on it and looks ok. price is 12500 is that about right or way to much?

There is also a case 2094 but the 3 point dont work and there is a lot of oil build up on the injection pump and rear end housing but it looks like it has never been washed.

I went looking at a 7700 ford ( 11500) but the throw out bearing makes noise or at least that is what I thought it was.
85 and 120 are very low for a diesel compression reading. Not worked on JD much but most running diesels will be in the upper 200's or more.

12500 sounds extremely pricey considering the situation. I was at a sale today where they sold a 94 Ford 7840 4wd cab/ac with 1500 hrs on it for $15500. Belonged to the state, was in very good shape but it was orange. Dad's been fussing about getting a newer cab tractor for years, when he quit bidding at 12k it just proved he's all talk.

I'd give about a third that for something in that condition. The only diesel tractors I've ever heard of that was so worn out that it wouldn't start was where they ran them on something like an irrigation pump and they had a load of hours. I'm wondering if the valves are adjusted wrong.

Larry

cfpinz":2hv9fgqt said:
12500 sounds extremely pricey considering the situation. I was at a sale today where they sold a 94 Ford 7840 4wd cab/ac with 1500 hrs on it for $15500. Belonged to the state, was in very good shape but it was orange. Dad's been fussing about getting a newer cab tractor for years, when he quit bidding at 12k it just proved he's all talk.
I agree---Sorta Pricey !!! :tiphat:

tom4018":9rkbdgc7 said:
JHH":9rkbdgc7 said:
cfpinz":9rkbdgc7 said:

85 and 120 are very low for a diesel compression reading. Not worked on JD much but most running diesels will be in the upper 200's or more.
That kind of compression is getting low on a GAS engine. I have to believe whoever checked the compression did something wrong and didn't get the right numbers. I wouldn't think that tractor would ever have a chance to start if that's the actual compression. We had a tractor running around 290 on all cylinders and it wouldn't start at 60 degrees without a snort of ether.

Latest posts