Ivomectin and bred cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bobg

Reaction score
My cows were AI'd two months ago and I would like to worm them. I have some Ivomectin, but was wondering about any problems that might occur by worming them. Or would I be better to wait until April or so.

Thanks,
Bobg

We use Ivomec - no probs ever.

For Ivomectin - would bet it is the same. Go to their web site - probably on the container and send them an email if unsure.

Bez!

BobG,

I'm a religious user of Ivomec Plus, but I read the label recently, and Tapeworm also made some comments to me concerning it's use in the winter.

There is a certain form of grub present in cattle, that if you use Ivomec in the winter could cause problems. You may want to read the label, or maybe pm tape.

Is that the grub that gets into the muscles of the legs (be darned if I can recall the name right now. Its on the edge of my tongue), and when the Ivomec hits, it kills them and forms cysts that can possibly lame the animal?

If this is what Tape was talking about, then its only a danger towards spring, and only if the grubs are large enough to be easily visible under the skin to the naked eye.

As for pregnant animals, Ivermectin (Ivomec) and Ivomectin are virtually the same drug and completely safe for pregnant animals.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":2g531pmn said:
As for pregnant animals, Ivermectin (Ivomec) and Ivomectin are virtually the same drug and completely safe for pregnant animals.

Rod

Rod, I agree that Ivomec should cause no problems to pregnant cattle. However the worming of cattle with Ivomec in winter has been put into question in my book.

There have been previous posts here concerning the need to worm if the ground temperature was below a certain temp. Was it 50 degrees? I can't remember.

BobG, is there a particular reason that you want to worm them now?

cypressfarms":141qjjoy said:
BobG,

I'm a religious user of Ivomec Plus, but I read the label recently, and Tapeworm also made some comments to me concerning it's use in the winter.

There is a certain form of grub present in cattle, that if you use Ivomec in the winter could cause problems. You may want to read the label, or maybe pm tape.

To the best of my knowledge, Ivomec does not have anything to do with grubs. Ivomec Plus is another story altogether. Grub control should only be used within a certain length of time (if memory serves - about 2 months) following the end of heel fly season. Using it past that length of time can result in the death of your cattle due to the grubs having migrated up into major arteries, etc.

The name finally came to me. Warbles, and according to the vets that I've dealt with over the years, the only time you have to be concerned is when Ivomecing as the grub is moving up the legs through the muscles.

Perhaps we've been getting bad advice, but virtually everyone up here Ivomecs in the fall when pulling the cattle in off of pasture. Usually this is in October when its cooler than 50F.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":s31tu30q said:
The name finally came to me. Warbles, and according to the vets that I've dealt with over the years, the only time you have to be concerned is when Ivomecing as the grub is moving up the legs through the muscles.

Perhaps we've been getting bad advice, but virtually everyone up here Ivomecs in the fall when pulling the cattle in off of pasture. Usually this is in October when its cooler than 50F.

Rod

It's really more of a problem when the warble (heel fly grub) is around the esophogous because it can cause stangulation. Anytine over about 60 days past your heel fly season until the grubs appear on the back can be dangerous. Heel fly season varys significantly from one area to another north to south.
But that onbly applies to using grubecide products. Normal worming products don;t have any effect on grubs.ox warbles.

dun

cypressfarms":kwsxt06d said:

I was just curious about any problems with using the Ivomectin. Does it pay to worm in the spring? If it does I would do it then.

Bobg

Bobg":35a7u1xx said:
cypressfarms":35a7u1xx said:

I was just curious about any problems with using the Ivomectin. Does it pay to worm in the spring? If it does I would do it then.

Bobg

I do not see any reason whatsoever to pour em now. We always do it in late April. But then I am not sure about the fly seasons in your area.
bif

msscamp":chdh0i7f said:
To the best of my knowledge, Ivomec does not have anything to do with grubs.

Well, since ivomec kills grubs, aka warbles, I fully disagree. And you don't worry when it's in the area under the skin, you worry when it's in the esophagus or spinal canal where killing the grub can cause inability to swallow or downers. Does it happen? Absolutely. How big is the risk? Well, if there's NO grubs, there is no risk. But can you guarantee that there wasn't a single warble fly to worry about??

Do NOT use the product from Dec. 1 to late March, as directed for your area.

Latest posts