Ivomec vs ....

Help Support CattleToday:

HFCC

Reaction score
I would be very interested in hearing of other's experience with pour-on wormers and medications other than Ivomec. Yeah I know it's great stuff, and I've used it before with good results, but it is almost twice the cost of others with the same formulation and application data.

Are we really just paying for a name or is it really worth it?

What do you think, and why?
Tracy
Hoy's Fork Cattle Co.
Kentucky

Check out Cydectin. I don't think it is a form of ivermectin, and it worked for us.

msscamp":nnveuad0 said:
Check out Cydectin. I don't think it is a form of ivermectin, and it worked for us.

Thank you for replying msscamp. Different brand, but about the same price as the Ivomec. $250 for a 5 liter container.

T

You're not going to find a cheap dewormer for cattle, or anything else for that matter. I guess I should clarify that to say, at least, not a dewormer that works. Talk to your vet and see what he/she suggests. Area counts because, depending on what the dewormer is, and how it has been used, immunity can be a factor.

Thanks again msscamp.

Actually Tractor supply has a brand called Iver On on sale. 2.5 liter for $39.99. It has the same ingredients in the same proportions, same dosage as Ivomec.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/livestock/ ... on-2207064

I have never used it, but I'm thinking I may give it a try. Anyone else ever use this brand?

T

Give this some rational thought. If a company is making a product and selling it at high price and is losing business to someone making something identical, don;t you think they would reduce the price some? So how is it that somone an prodcue the "identical" product that much cheaper?

My vet says that hte generic products aren't consistent on their dosages and he doesn't use them. Then again maybe he gets somekind of kickbacks. gs

msscamp":ktxv7cug said:

My vet uses both since they are different chemistries. We pour them twice a year, once in the spring, once in the fall. He says the fall one is the most important since lice are worse in the winter. You can see them rubbing more about now.

What my vet does is alternate year to year. One year he uses Ivermectin, the next year Cydectin. He says this keeps from building up resistant strains of pests.

He is a very good vet. For the amount you use per animal and the potential cost/losses of a wormy animal I don't think this is an area to pinch pennies. jmho.

Jim

dun":wbd6qgdl said:
Give this some rational thought. If a company is making a product and selling it at high price and is losing business to someone making something identical, don;t you think they would reduce the price some? So how is it that somone an prodcue the "identical" product that much cheaper?
But then there are a lot of people that think if it is more expensive it has to be better. Name brand products are name brand because of advertising. Advertising costs big bucks so the companies have to charge more. No name companies have very little advertising if any so they can sell cheaper. They could even be buying bulk from foreign countries and bottling, then selling under their own label.

msscamp":1fyc2bfn said:

We use Cydectin also and it's doing a very good job. I figure in all things you pretty much get what you pay for. Why would anyone sell a $200 product for $30?? If I knew you just wanted to save a few bucks I'd probably lower the price of my product to $100--125 but never to 15% of what you're getting for yours. I see it much like feed....the tags may be identical but that doesn't mean what's in the bag is identical.

There is also Dectomax which I use on calves. cydectin is good to around here they are pushing cydectin more for dairy cows because of the no milk withdraw. the thing about generic wormers is they don't really have to stand behind their product. For instance if one of merial,fort dodge or pfizer products fail THEY will pay to re-treat or change the program whatever it takes to make it right.

Any of you guys ever try apple cider vinegar?

I saw a video where a guy was intensive grazing and adding the vinegar to his water on occasion.
Can't find enough comparison data though.

TexasBred":1fvo39e1 said:
msscamp":1fvo39e1 said:

I've used it a like it okay, the only problem we have out here in the wet NW is it will wash off in the rain in the first 24 hrs. Ivermec Epernex pour on is 100% water proof.

We use Cydectin also and it's doing a very good job. I figure in all things you pretty much get what you pay for. Why would anyone sell a $200 product for $30?? If I knew you just wanted to save a few bucks I'd probably lower the price of my product to $100--125 but never to 15% of what you're getting for yours. I see it much like feed....the tags may be identical but that doesn't mean what's in the bag is identical.

Ditto to this and what Dun said. I'll pay the extra bucks for Merial's Ivomec plus injectable
Alan

Well, we've been using generic Ivermectins for the last 5 years. We've been buying in the US for about 1/3 the price of what Ivomec is worth up here.

The only difference I have noticed is the money it leaves in MY pocket. Heck most of the local vets have been encouraging us to buy the cheap stuff, they've been buying it for their own cattle too. We finally have a Canadian supplier and that is what we used this year.

dun":1p2zcwgh said:

Thank you for your reply dun. I look forward to talking with you and others much more in the future.

First off let me say that I am a 51 year old retired businessman who ran his own HVAC company and retail business for near 20 years. I very seldom do ANYTHING without examining it from all angles beforehand. I have learned better through the years, sometimes the hard way.

I have also learned that just because it is a well recognized brand, it doesn't mean it the ONLY brand that will do the job. Experience tells, hence my question here even after talking to other farmers in my area. The more feedback you can get the better. That will allow you to make that rational decision based on imperical evidence and not just opinion. A brand that sells based on false advertising will usually not be around for long and certainly leaves itself open to a law suit.

Many reputable business (such as Valley) sell brands other than Ivomec at a fraction of the cost. Are these businesses that don't care whether or not they are selling a good product? Surely they would recieve negative responses from their customer base about these products.

Just MHO for what it's worth. Your mileage may vary.

All the best,

Tracy

Many reputable business (such as Valley) sell brands other than Ivomec at a fraction of the cost. Are these businesses that don't care whether or not they are selling a good product? Surely they would recieve negative responses from their customer base about these products.

Unfortunately we're talking about internal parasites....most people, apply it, pap themselves on the back and forget about it. Few follow up to see if something like a wormer really worked....in the long run an animal or two might show signs of the product not working but by then it's time to worm again anyway. Do they work?? I don't have a clue as I haven't used any of the cheap wormers....do people notify Valley Vet? I doubt it..most would contact the manufacturer and it would probably die there for lack of attention. Not even generic Tylenol works exactly like the orginal even tho everything on the label is the same.

My supplier told me the Ivermectin patents have recently changed and this is the first year we have used anything other than the Ivomec brand. Worked just the same as the 1/2 again as expensive stuff.
Ivomec will keep their prices high until there is enough loss of sales to lower them.

Another thought...... It is my understanding that POUR-ON wormers just don't get the internal parisites like an injectable. So regardless of whether you are using IVOMEC or a Generic, you aren't going to do much on the internal stuff. Both work just fine for lice and external parisites.

For the last 2 years we have used a generic injectable (Noromectin) for our calves, thinner end cows and horses. Seemed to work for them.

As far as I'm concerned if the active ingredient in the generic is the same as in IVOMEC it should work the same. And, besides, even if it isn't quite as good as in the real stuff, it is still 1/3 the price. I'd have to do them 3 times before I'd spend as much on it as I would on Ivomec.

And your cattle stay infected with parasites 3 times as long as well. The pour-on does work on internal parasites.

cydectin is dugg beetle friendly and ivomec is not..but both work great...if you see the differents dugg beeltes can make in your pasture you'll want to use cydectin

Latest posts