Ivomec Resistance

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
Are a lot of people seeing resistance to Ivomec or any other dewormers? i dont think its working for us as well as it used to.

We moved onto a new place in East Texas from Arkansas about 10 years ago. Most of the place was half overgrown with sweetgum sapplings and was basically unused. The former ower had a few cows and I noticed several carcasses lying around. Wasn't to concerned becaused we had always wormed twice a year with Ivomec Plus and gave every vaccination known to man. Boy; did we ever start losing cows! Lost 3 to four cows every year! Even had the vet out and drew blood twice to test for John's Disease. Couldn't be worms! Never seen worms kill a cow and we were using Ivomec Plus twice a year! Tried Cydectin and Safeguard, nothing worked; still losing cows. Finally tried Valbazen one fall. Problem solved!! We now alternate between Ivomec Plus and Valbazen and have had no more problems.

Maybe similar to horse wormers.

I alternate active ingrediants (brands) when I worm the horses every 4 months or so.

Cathy- you are wasting money using The Ivomec + if your using Valbazen. IF you are going to use Valbazen you should use it late fall to get the liver flukes (yes, you need to be concerned with those in Texas) and in the spring with just plain Ivomec. The only difference in the plain Ivomec and the + is that it gets the flukes. In the spring the flukes are in a resistant stage of development and the extra money you are spending on the + is doing nothing. There are only 2 wormers that can get the flukes and your using them both. Consult your vet, I would be interested to know their opinions too.

Farmgirl":27bd5arf said:
Can the valbazen be used on pregnant cows? Seems like I read it could not.

Thanks,
Farmgirl

Only restricted in the first 45 days. Our cows are have either just calved or are 4 to 5 months bred when we use Valbazen in the fall.

Latest posts