ivomec kills dung beetles?

Help Support CattleToday:

T-Bro

Reaction score
Talked to a cydectin sales rep who said that the reason we don't see many dung beetles is because ivomec kills them. If anyone wants dung beetles, you have to use cydectin wormer because it is formulated to not be hazardous to them.
Anyone else heard this? I would like to see the return of those little turd rollers again.

You know I have heard that but dont know if I believe it. I used to see them all the time when I was very young and they vanished. They went missing before we started worming cows. When my dad was alive he never wormed cows but I started prolly 25 years ago but they were already gone then.

Its been well established that Ivermectin interferes with dung "bugs".

But I think Cydectin is "exagerating" (thats the nice way to label their sales pitch) that the other wormers are as destructive as Ivomec :)

If you rotate wormers, you can time it so that you use Ivomectin after the first heavy frost and the Cydectin during warm weather when they are active.

As far as it being false advertisement, I am going to take their word on it since the other drug companies aren't trying to discredit their product.

I wonder what did make the rollers dissappear. They are alive and well in Australia. What are they doing different from us? I remember seeing them when I was a kid.

The rollers carry the manure away from pile and distribute it making nutrients available for the grass futher away.
The ones that you see that burrow around the pile, they carry it directly below. Both are good for the pastures.
Chuckie

In mid to late November we use Ivomec Plus.

In early spring, we use Cydexin.

In mid summer, we use Safeguard, which is safe for dung beetles.

We have lots of dung beetles.

Dusty Britches":v675gks9 said:
In mid to late November we use
  • Ivomec Plus.

In early spring, we use Cydexin.

In mid summer, we use Safeguard, which is safe for dung beetles.

We have lots of dung beetles.
there's another problem folks like too use Ivomec plus in the spring to target liver fluke

Chuckie":1f9ozli7 said:
I wonder what did make the rollers dissappear. They are alive and well in Australia. What are they doing different from us? I remember seeing them when I was a kid.

Maybe I'm way off base here but, if Tennesee is anything like Wyoming, pastures are butted up against fields because of the way the land lays. A lot of farmers/ranchers use crop dusters to spray their fields for insects, and it doesn't take much of a wind to carry that insecticide into the adjoining pastures. I don't profess to be an insecticide expert, but I believe a fair number of insecticides tend to not be species specific, and have a fairly good residual on them.

msscamp, It's the same way here and I bet that has a lot to do with it. Even though the rollers are gone, the tunnelers are still here. Maybe the tunnelers are a more hardy species than the rollers. Or it might have something to do with the tunnelers being underground when the sparyers are going.
Having said that, I wish the sprays would kill out the horn and stable flies instead.
Chuckie

Chuckie":1r65hzsj said:
msscamp, It's the same way here and I bet that has a lot to do with it. Even though the rollers are gone, the tunnelers are still here. Maybe the tunnelers are a more hardy species than the rollers. Or it might have something to do with the tunnelers being underground when the sparyers are going.
Having said that, I wish the sprays would kill out the horn and stable flies instead. Chuckie

I would be willing to bet it has a lot to do with the tunnelers being underground, or having the capability of going underground. As for the flies - wouldn't that be great? :D :D