Ivomec Injectable?

Help Support CattleToday:

OleScout

Reaction score
What's going on with the Ivomec Injectable. My local guys don't have any and I went to a dozen or so websites trying to order all show Out of stock and indefinite backorder.

LongRange uses the same parasiticide as Eprinomectin pour on. Eprinomectin. Long Range has a polymer that allows extended release. I use the pour on but I agree with Jehosofat, The active ingredient (eprinomectin) in LongRange is better than the Ivermectin in Ivomec.

Just got off the phone with Brent Tolle, Senior Sale Rep at Merial (Boehringer Ingelheim). They make LongRange and Ivomec injectable. The manufacturer of Ivomec had a manufacturing break down. It has been fixed but there is a worldwide backorder.

Bright Raven":101i19e9 said:
The manufacturer of Ivomec had a manufacturing break down. It has been fixed but there is a worldwide backorder.
Would be good to have more manufacturers if you are supporting the world...

Stocker Steve":1a9ar6y3 said:
Bright Raven":1a9ar6y3 said:
The active ingredient (eprinomectin) in LongRange is better than the Ivermectin in Ivomec.

What about Safeguard?

Safeguard is a different class of parasiticide. It is effective for roundworms but not ectoparasites - lice, ticks, etc. Safeguard contains fenbendazole. I use Safeguard as an oral parasiticide on my young calves when I only need to address roundworms. I prefer VALBAZEN:

While the dosage volume of VALBAZEN is larger than Safe-Guard® or Synanthic®, VALBAZEN has the most effective dosage, covering 25% more parasites and life stages than Safe-Guard and 47% more than Synanthic.

Stocker Steve":1plhxocu said:
Bright Raven":1plhxocu said:
The manufacturer of Ivomec had a manufacturing break down. It has been fixed but there is a worldwide backorder.
Would be good to have more manufacturers if you are supporting the world...

Worldwide -
14wgdmv.jpg

I use Valbazen on calves but not on cows because of the possible effects on early stages of pregnancy.On them,I use Synanthic on years when I'm switching classes of wormers.
Eternals can be easily addressed with Ultra Boss,Sabre or a synergized generic pyrethroid.

I'm am not saying the OP is doing this but I've read where using one of the"mectrins for external control only may contribute to an eventual resistance to the drug.The fly tag users have found this out.One suggestion I have read is use organophosphate tags for three years then use a next gen pyrethroid for one.
We used to use a lot of fly tags but they got expensive and,for me, the back rubs do well.Or a spray every two weeks or so

JW IN VA":1rqi6t2h said:
I use Valbazen on calves but not on cows because of the possible effects on early stages of pregnancy.On them,I use Synanthic on years when I'm switching classes of wormers.
Eternals can be easily addressed with Ultra Boss,Sabre or a synergized generic pyrethroid.

I'm am not saying the OP is doing this but I've read where using one of the"mectrins for external control only may contribute to an eventual resistance to the drug.The fly tag users have found this out.One suggestion I have read is use organophosphate tags for three years then use a next gen pyrethroid for one.
We used to use a lot of fly tags but they got expensive and,for me, the back rubs do well.Or a spray every two weeks or so

Synathic is broader spectrum than Safeguard. It not only kills roundworms but also flatworms.

Stocker Steve":3asy4o0t said:
Bright Raven":3asy4o0t said:
Synathic is broader spectrum than Safeguard. It not only kills roundworms but also flatworms.

How common are tapeworms, compared to round worms?

Both are common. Tapeworms are a minor clinical problem compared to round worms. Even in humans, tapeworms are a
relatively minor heath risk. On the other hand, some round worms can be a major health risk. Their life cycles can take them through many of the body's organ-systems such as the lungs, kidneys, heart, etc.

Chocolate Cow2":l6fnd5n2 said:
This is a good article on wormers and resistance.
https://www.bovinevetonline.com/article ... -resources
Enjoyed the article. We go at it a little differently and only worm cattle under 3 YO and not real often. Seems to help identify the "wimpy cattle" quickly for the ride to the barn. I sometimes wonder if it would not be better to manage the cattle like the sheep and have a zero worm policy in the breeders and only worm to have survivors to go to the meat market along with the parents. Seems to have been good. Culling to get to this point was an expense. But part of it.

I still wonder what the deal will be in 10 years when the parasites are resistant to the 2 dewormer combination? It will happen and would seemingly will make them more difficult to deal with. Thanks.

Ebenezer":1ivg5c9c said:
I still wonder what the deal will be in 10 years when the parasites are resistant to the 2 dewormer combination? It will happen and would seemingly will make them more difficult to deal with. Thanks.

Parasites are invertebrates. Their physiology is enough different from Vertebrates that a toxin to a parasite is not a toxin to the cow (vertebrate). You know that, I am providing background.

There must be 1001 toxins that have not been discovered that will kill parasites and not kill vertebrates. I agree, parasites evolve at a faster pace than larger organisms (that is another topic - has to do with larger populations and thus more opportunities for variation and adaptability) so yes, the current family of parasiticides will become obsolete. But drug companies then have an opportunity to develop the next generation of parasiticides. I see that as an opportunity.

Ebenezer":v9ein3s0 said:

We may have to buy some unmanaged scrub bulls to outcross with resistant cows?

Latest posts