Ivomec in Dairy Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

johnny25

Reaction score
I picked up a few open heifers a month ago. I put them on good hay and almond hulls. The majority of them took to the feed and look great. The other 2 are eating fine and appears to have parasites. Since I got the animals they have come into heat and have been bred. Ivomec can be used on dairy cattle but it says on the box not to use it on dairy cattle that are of breeding age because of the milk withdrawl. Now I dont need these animals for milk because I raise them to be replacements. I just want to make sure that the ivomec doesnt screw up the calf inside the heifer or mess up the heifers body as far as rejecting the semen and getting pregrant.

I keep a couple of jersey nurse cows, I breed them to a freinds jersey bull, to get jersey heifers, I worm them all with ivomec, from 8yrs to 18 months and never had a problem.

To the best of my knowledge, Ivomec is every bit as safe -from a reproductive standpoint- on a dairy animal as on a beef animal. The reason for the labeling is due to the lack of testing that would provide a clear milk withhold time.

I use Ivomec on all my animals without problems.

If you are worried about the Ivomec, get the one made by Ivomec that is for the dairy cattle, there isn't any withdrawal time. I can't remember the name of it.

Latest posts