IVF flushing a virgin heifer ?

Help Support CattleToday:

gizmom":n9wa9nte said:
Why flush a virgin heifer? What does she have going for her that makes you feel she is flush quality. She at this point has never worked a day in her life. Just trying to get my head around this management plan. Just because a heifer is out of great genetics certainly doesn't mean she will produce quality. Why not get a few calves on the ground out of the calf see how they perform within their contemporary group. If she is performing well then flush her. I just see so many reasons not to flush a virgin heifer.

Gizmom

Stole my thunder!!

Only good reason I can see (I think this is walnuts) is to save a rare line or a rescue effort . I doubt there is anything inherently rare about the op's heifer, but it his money

Putting a bow on this topic from my perspective ...

We aspirated this virgin heifer (injured early in life and stressed throughout) six times. We had a total of 70 oocytes, but only 12 of those converted to embryos. This little lady will be at the butchers within the next 15 days... :(

Of all of the other females we aspirated at the same time as we were aspirating her, we did a total of six other aspirations (two females, three times each) and had a total of 180 oocytes, of which 53 converted to embryos.

A conversion rate of approximately 30% is pretty normal for Bos Taurus beef cattle. In our non-injured females, we were at 29.4%. Also, for Bos Taurus cattle, 6-7 embyros per aspiration is pretty typical; we were at 8.8 for our non-injured females.

Not sure what others have experienced, as far as productivity, from virgin heifers and/or injured females ... I share this with all of you so that if you're faced with a similar decision this one example might help you make up your mind.

You are in this a lot deeper than we get, so I have a question; why not breed her and let her raise a calf? She obviously has value, since you flushed her. Have you flushed her so hard you have made her unable to gestate a calf? She has a prosthetic, can she not raise a calf with her injury?

Fire Sweep Ranch":1lcsrxz0 said:
You are in this a lot deeper than we get, so I have a question; why not breed her and let her raise a calf? She obviously has value, since you flushed her. Have you flushed her so hard you have made her unable to gestate a calf? She has a prosthetic, can she not raise a calf with her injury?

She can't live life in the pasture -- the homemade prosthetic won't allow for jostling, much less breeding.

We do have her full sister and a 3/4 sister on the ground now, plus we still own her mother and have semen on her sire, so (as a friend of mine says) we have the factory to make more. And, we have made more ... there are 16 embryos in the tank of this particular pairing. So, we're calling it quits on this little project. She's a sweetie ... and we're a little bummed about this ... but, this door is closing. :(

WalnutCrest":3lttwc46 said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":3lttwc46 said:

She can't live life in the pasture -- the homemade prosthetic won't allow for jostling, much less breeding.

We do have her full sister and a 3/4 sister on the ground now, plus we still own her mother and have semen on her sire, so (as a friend of mine says) we have the factory to make more. And, we have made more ... there are 16 embryos in the tank of this particular pairing. So, we're calling it quits on this little project. She's a sweetie ... and we're a little bummed about this ... but, this door is closing. :(

Well, AI would take care of the breeding, so no weight bearing issues there as you know. The reason I asked is you obviously have a bunch of money invested in her genetics and rehabilitation. Our pastor has a three legged heifer, lost her foot from a freeze. He bred her (AI) and she gets around just fine raising a calf. Her back right leg is about 6 inches off the ground, and she uses it when she walks, but runs on three legs when she takes off.
Not in your shoes, I might be inclined to try breeding her to see how she gets along. She is not in pain, and has no resale value because of her leg (except in a package), so why not try? Maybe we too got attached to this little heifer since we have followed her story since she was born. Just sad to see so much effort to save her and now she has no value...

Fire Sweep Ranch":hs19ndiz said:
WalnutCrest":hs19ndiz said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":hs19ndiz said:

Well, AI would take care of the breeding, so no weight bearing issues there as you know. The reason I asked is you obviously have a bunch of money invested in her genetics and rehabilitation. Our pastor has a three legged heifer, lost her foot from a freeze. He bred her (AI) and she gets around just fine raising a calf. Her back right leg is about 6 inches off the ground, and she uses it when she walks, but runs on three legs when she takes off.
Not in your shoes, I might be inclined to try breeding her to see how she gets along. She is not in pain, and has no resale value because of her leg (except in a package), so why not try? Maybe we too got attached to this little heifer since we have followed her story since she was born. Just sad to see so much effort to save her and now she has no value...

From the head vet:

"I would highly discourage this approach. I noticed last week that even with the brace, there are some degenerative changes starting to occur on Begonia's good rear leg. Continuing to add weight and then a pregnancy on top of that, I feel that she would continue to breakdown, lose condition, and would not be a good quality of life. I think the best option for you and her at this point would be to start planning for an end plan."

Which is what I've thought ever since it became apparent that we'd be able to save her ... that some day we'd have to make a humane decision.

Later on in the same email, I was quite pleased to hear him tell me that one of the herdswomen who's been taking care of Begonia has inquired about buying her beef. :) Sounds like she's going to be loved all the way to the end, until there is no more to love. And that makes me pleased. But, still a little sad...

Hi Everybody
New to this but was thinking about flushing a virgin heifer here. Have tested 2 to see if they are homozygous polled. Building a herd here. One has great shape and I think will make a fantastic cow. I need homozygous offspring with muscle and that's 3 years away if I give here a handy calf this time. ET is not prohibitive in ireland but ivf is not available. What age could they be flushed (simmentals)?
Thanks
StrongBoPolled

StrongBoPolled said:
Hi Everybody
New to this but was thinking about flushing a virgin heifer here. Have tested 2 to see if they are homozygous polled. Building a herd here. One has great shape and I think will make a fantastic cow. I need homozygous offspring with muscle and that's 3 years away if I give here a handy calf this time. ET is not prohibitive in ireland but ivf is not available. What age could they be flushed (simmentals)?
Thanks
StrongBoPolled

They can be flushed as soon as they're old enough to cycle and big enough for someone to get a hand in. I've seen heifers flushed at 10 months.

"One has great shape and I think will make a fantastic cow. I need "

The I think should be all caps and bold and underlined! You will be sinking a whole lot of money into a big old maybe! There is a very good reason people flush proven cows the main one is if the cow has done her job properly chances are much higher of a good outcome on calves produced through a flush. I hate to be a negative nelly but hate seeing folks spend a pile of money on unproven genetics. Just one opinion not my heifer not my rodeo if you proceed I wish you the very best.

Gizmom

100% agree with what Gizmom said above. The best pedigreed, best numbered cow is usually not the best cow.. find out if she is at least a decent cow.

Latest posts