IVF Costs/Experience

Help Support CattleToday:

Air gator

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the cost is for IVF "flush"....I know it isn't a flush.
Do you have first-hand experience with it? How many embryos did you get?
Not sure if there has been any breakthrough with IVF since all the news about progress made with pigs...which I can't find on the internet now.

IVF is quite successful. Gives you great options of "flushing" a bred cow so you don't screw up your calving season. I have not personally had it done, but I know several people who have. You have to contact a company near you & get their prices.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1s6ga03l said:
IVF is quite successful. Gives you great options of "flushing" a bred cow so you don't screw up your calving season. I have not personally had it done, but I know several people who have. You have to contact a company near you & get their prices.

Jeanne, is it true that the embryos are not as viable?

I do not use IVF embryos. I certainly do not want to disparage anyone's products by any sense but I was highly discouraged from it by a cattleman I really respect.

He said the quality does that hold up to that of a true flush. There are certainly situations where it is even necessary if you are set on flushing a cow but personally I am weary of it and I buy a fair amount of embryos.

IVF for 3 cows and 36 viable embryos was 8 grand. So it can add up really quick. As far as conception rate, you can subtract 20% from your normal ET conception rate if your lucky. I do not recommend IVF. You will get much more bang for your buck with conventional ET.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1gcf9jey said:
The statistics show a SLIGHTLY lower conception with IVF.
The convenience outweighs that slight difference to a lot of people. I have a good friend using the program & has had great success.

Dr. James Spears is a personal friend and former professor. He is optimistic about IVF. I discussed it with him briefly on messenger. He said there are improvements being made that look encouraging. IVF, of course, is not new science. But to make it effective requires some improvements in handling fresh live embryos.

midTN_Brangusman,
Thanks for the info. It's probably easier just to buy some embryos.
You see a lot of embryos on websites that sit for a long time.
Appreciate your help.

Your conception rates will change depending on whether or not they were fresh transfer or frozen.

Your conception rates will vary if your technician is competent (or not) with IVF eggs.

Your conception rates will vary if your technician froze crappy embryos.

Etc.

We've had good success with IVF. I think it's due to the fact we use competent professionals, good semen, and implant quality embryos into good cows.

Latest posts