IVF Breakthrough

Help Support CattleToday:

I know it is not being used anywhere that I know of right now and we use a very well known company. They don't discourage IVF but any means but most cattlemen will tell you to stay away at it is more expensive and the quality of embryo is less.

The pregnancy results suggest that IVF embryos result in diminished rates compared to traditional. 50 % +or - 5 % is about the expected rate. Traditional embryos are generally at least 5-10 % higher. IVF procedures do allow one to circumvent some common obstacles such as use of rare and expensive semen, cows not responding to traditional stimulation protocols and the most desired feature- reverse sorting for all females. The recent availability of sexed semen from Sexing technologies ( doing better than sex semen previously) could eliminate the need to reverse sort.
Dr. James Spears, American Embryo Transfer Association.

The viability is not significantly lower. My understanding is that the cost is higher.

I looked into it and was told that since I was a minor player to stay away from those IVF embryos because of the reduced conception rates. I found out quickly that breeders don't always tell you up front. You need to ask.

my cow that I bred with $50.00 Sexed female semen cycled again this weekend.

she has caught every year first service with regular semen...

I stumbled on a unit if Jipsey Earl in my tank and used that on her...goes to a bull next week some time.

The bucking bull folks use IVF quite frequently since they have some straws that go for over $10K. Conception rates are horrible, and I remember a lot of folks dumping a lot of money into open recip cows.

Latest posts