Ivermectin Pour On

Help Support CattleToday:

A6gal

Reaction score
I have been using the safeguard blocks for worming but decided to switch to something different this time around and had heard ivermectin pour on was good. I purchased enough to do all my cows at the time of their annual booster vaccines but when I opened the product label and read it,it states "not for use on breeding age cattle", so I held off using it. Is this product only for use on calves? All of my cows have calves at their side and are bred back.

A6gal":34fao3cp said:
.....when I opened the product label and read it,it states "not for use on breeding age cattle", so I held off using it. Is this product only for use on calves?
I've never heard that. I use it on breeding age cattle at all stages of gestation and lactation. Are you sure it didn't say not to use it on dairy cattle of breeding age? If so, that would be because milk withdrawal times haven't been established.

I went and looked at the label for one of the ivermectin pours (Agrimectin). This is pasted from part of the label (I added the emphasis):

"Safety:
Studies conducted in the U.S.A. have demonstrated the safety margin for ivermectin. Based on plasma levels, the topically applied formulation is expected to be at least as well tolerated by breeding animals as is the subcutaneous formulation which had no effect on breeding performance"

Texan is right on the money. The Standard 1% Ivomec injectable I have says "female dairy cattle of breeding age".

My vet sells me 2% injectable Ivomec and it is safe with my cattle.

The Cydectin pour on I have also says safe for calves, nursing cows, and breeding animals, and that it was tested up to 3 times over the recommended dosage on these animals.

Iv'e always used Ivomec, Cydectin (newer), and a couple of other generics and have never had a problem with either pour on or injectable.

My bad! I got out my reading glasses (that I don't really need)and re-read the label and it does say "female DAIRY cattle of breeding age".

Thanks guys. I guess I'll be worming this weekend, after the rain from Emily passes.

I have a question. What is the best vac. for cattle grubs?
I have used Ivermectin, and also used Cydectin, and still sometimes have a few on a few cows. And what do they actually cause other than an ugly hump on cows, or is there anything?
[/url][/code][/list]

We have always used Warbex - it's a pour-on, not an injection - I have never heard of an injection for grubs (but maybe that's just the area I live in). Grubs are the larvae for heel flies, they are a parasite that utilizes nutrients, that are better utilized by the animal, for their growth development, and make holes in the hide.

I think warbles can cause spinal cord paralysis or death. At some point in their migration they are in the spinal canal and trachea , and if an insecticide is applied at that time their demise can cause paralysis or death. The point at which the warbles are in this area is dependent on your particular climate... for us it's the winter. So it would be best to use ivermectin or whatever late summer then it's ok to use again in early spring or late winter. O/w must wait until later in the Spring due to the migration of the grubs.

Hope this makes sense, you can do a google search and find out the specific recomendations for your area of the world.

Susie

susie, I think it's actually the esopagus (sp?), rather than the trachea.

"The young grubs burrowing through the skin cause rashes and sore spots that get infected easily. The grubs migrating in the animal's body injure the esophagus, the spinal cord, and other internal organs, and perhaps also produce substances that are harmful to the animal. The swelling and pain in the esophagus interfere with swallowing of food and chewing the cud and lead to loss in weight or gain and digestive disorders, including bloat. Sometimes the grubs injure the spinal cord and cause paralysis.

When grubs are accidentally crushed in the warbles, they may cause allergic reactions. Beef cattle infected with grubs do not finish well and sell for lower prices than grub-free ones. Grubs damage the flesh and the hide. Cattle grubs also cause the following packing-house losses:

Trim loss: The actual value of damaged tissue removed from the carcass plus a nominal labor charge.
Devaluation loss: The reduction in sales value of carcasses or prime cuts due to marred appearance.
Hide loss: The reduction in the value of hides because of warble holes.
All of these types of damages are directly caused by the presence of warbles in the back area."

Perhaps these are the same things (I believe it is) that my barn kittens would get when I was a kid (35 years ago). I'd have one kitten in every litter that got them in the throat/neck area and then one year I had a bottle calf that got 2 or 3 on her back...... how I treated them was when they made a small hole (about the size of the end of a syringe) in the skin I would put a DROP of turpentine in that hole. I never lost a kitten nor my calf and it killed the worm.

In todays world, if a person keeps the cattle maintained like they should be, we should see very little warbles make it to the point where they can be seen under the hide.......although some do slip through the treatments.....

But a small number of ox warbles can be manually excised, meaning that they can be popped out of the animal if it is willing to hold still long enough for you to work on it. It's not a major job, or surgery for that matter.

Some years back I was given a yearling that had several dozen on her, and was at the point where it would not have been healthy to kill the large warbles in there, so we took a few hours and popped them out.....when they get that big... you want them REMOVED when they die, otherwise they can cause major infections............think about this...it's an animal dying inside it's host animal....... :cboy: